The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (DadsFirstPickup, Rusted Nut), 78 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,075
Posts1,056,279
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 7
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 7
This was offered to me. It's a 2-speed rearend, but may not be original to the '64 C60 it currently resides in. Didn't think to measure the brake drum width before I left. Can anyone ID this rear end and/or tell me what ratio might be in it?

Numbers on the pinion support:
http://i683.photobucket.com/albums/vv198/aaa-111/trucks/Goliath/2011-10-07175506.jpg

Horrible shot of the back of the axle:
http://i683.photobucket.com/albums/vv198/aaa-111/trucks/Goliath/2011-10-07175358.jpg

Front of the axle and the vacuum actuator for the 2-speed:
http://i683.photobucket.com/albums/vv198/aaa-111/trucks/Goliath/2011-10-07175512.jpg

Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,962
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,962
It is probably GM because I think they are the only ones that used vacuum shift. It could very well be original in a 64 60 series.

Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 326
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 326
Here's my guess if the differential wasn't changed out over the years.

If it has 15x4 brakes (15K axle) it could be a 6:40/8.72 or a 5.83/7.95.

With 15x6 brakes (17K axle) it could be a 6.40/8.72.

These were the popular two speed axles during the mid sixties on GM medium duty trucks.

SimS

Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 7
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 7
Thanks SimS. I saw that data on this site someone else linked me to. That's why I noted that I forgot to look at the drums.
http://www.chevyc60.com/the_rear_axle_page.htm

I thought the numbers on the pinion support were supposed to be the pinion and ring tooth count, but I don't know how that would work with the additional gearing in the rearend.

I also thought that the 2-speeds were all Eatons. Was I wrong? Are they Corporate? Either way, is there a model number for the axle so I can refer to it somewhat intelligently when looking for parts?

Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 326
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 326
If I had to guess, I would say Corporate. Take a look at this OldCarManualProject web page:

http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com/booklets/55top18/5518sm01.html

It looks a lot like your beast.

SimS


Moderated by  69Cuda, Super55 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0