The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (mick53, 1955 1 Series, klhansen, Shade Baby), 101 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,113
Posts1,056,277
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#784555 09/29/2011 12:07 AM
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 33
B
New Guy
New Guy
B Offline
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 33
Some douche (the previous owner) heated up the rear coils on my C10 to lower it. I'd like to return it to it's stock height (or close to it). I considered using coil "helpers". Does anyone have any suggestions or direct feedback about any of those things?

If I decide to replace the springs, would it be better to go with the constant or variable style? Aside from occasionally having to haul my 750cc motorcycle, I won't be carrying much of significant weight.

Thanks in advance!


'64 C10 Long/Fleet, 230ci w/4 on the floor
BigWeb #784564 09/29/2011 12:42 AM
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 841
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 841
people will do anything to fit in with the lower craze. if they have been heated you think they would be more prone to breaking since the spring steel has lost it's spring! i would replace them. 1/2 ton stock springs aren't too bad a ride anyway so stock replacements should be fine. a pet peve of mine is truck that can no longer function as truck be it too tall or too low, but to each his own.

BigWeb #784566 09/29/2011 12:47 AM
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 337
M
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
M Offline
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 337
I would replace the coils rather than using helper springs, simply because they are so easy to install and carry the load between the frame and control arms as in the original design.

Before purchasing any replacement springs it might be prudent to ask the size of the spring wire and compare it to the size of your originals. Most of the stock replacement rear coils I’ve seen are made of wire that is far too heavy and the springs are severely stiff. In theory the variable rate springs should be preferable, but I installed a pair of new aftermarket variable rate coils and the wire was so thick they basically couldn't be compressed no matter how much weight was added in the bed. The truck rode like it had no springs at all. As a person with back problems the truck became too painful to drive. I had to toss out the new springs and go back to the old originals.


1960 GMC 1/2-Ton Pickup Truck
In the Gallery
Updates in the DITY Gallery
Now cruising in the Passing Lane
BigWeb #784588 09/29/2011 2:20 AM
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,262
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,262
BigWeb,

My truck also had flame lowered rear coils. I replaced them with new rear coil springs from CPP and they are made from much smaller round stock than the originals. The result is a very smooth ride, much more like a car than a truck.

I plan to add air-lift bags (they install inside the rear leaf springs) for extra hauling capacity. I contacted Air-Lift and they suggested kit number 60812 for my truck ('65 SWB with 5" lowering springs). http://shop.airliftcompany.com/dyn_search?k=0&q=60812

Hope this helps.

John

Last edited by Hot Rod John; 09/29/2011 2:23 AM.

In the Stovebolt Gallery ~~ "The Orange Crate" 1965 C10 SWB Step Side Build Thread

Inspired to be different. Different in a way of my own, not in a way that others strive.

Moderated by  Hambone, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0