The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (DadsFirstPickup, BC59, Lightholder's Dad, Otto Skorzeny), 127 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,135
Posts1,056,422
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 63
D
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
D Offline
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 63
Here's what I've learned from my search for a used 235 so far about 235 engine mounting brackets, correct and add where I'm wrong; Thanks

1952-54 cars: middle side engine and rear trans mount.
1952-54 trucks: front engine & BH mounts.
1955-57 cars AND trucks: front corner engine mounts and rear trans mount on cars, BH mounts on trucks,.
1958-59 trucks may have either/both side mount and front corner mounts
1960-62 trucks have front center engine mount and side BH mounts.
1958-62 cars?
1963 4x4 trucks side mounts and BH mounts?

QUESTION: Do any years of 235 blocks have a 3-bolt side engine mounting hole-pattern the same as the SBC? It appears the '63 4x4 235's had an angled bracket that bolted to the SBC pad then the frame brackets. Those would also work on the 230/250 blocks as well. Right?



'53 BelAir 261 3spd/OD 4dr
'54 3100 235 3spd
'79 C30 with a '51 235-'57Bellhousing-'67SM420-14bolt dually
'89 V3500 350/465/205 SRW CC
One Chevy just isn't enough.
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 63
D
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
D Offline
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 63
I just looked at a '62 C10 with a 194/230/250 in it. It had those angled side brackets that bolt to the pad then sit on the frame brackets. Late 235's had same configuration.

My idea, correct me if this won't work, is to use a 58-63 235 and use side angle brackets with a V8 pad attached to the Walton weld-on V8 mounts for my '53 Bel Air so a V8 swap would be partially accomplished.

Anyone with experience doing this?
Or, what's the rear mounting bolt hole to bell-housing distance on a late 50's 235?
Thanks


Ooops, just found this on the HAMB: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=276713.

So, which blocks came with the middle side mounting holes? Only 1958 cars? That bolt-hole to bell-housing distance would still be nice to know.
Thanks

Last edited by DADS53; 09/25/2011 7:33 AM.

'53 BelAir 261 3spd/OD 4dr
'54 3100 235 3spd
'79 C30 with a '51 235-'57Bellhousing-'67SM420-14bolt dually
'89 V3500 350/465/205 SRW CC
One Chevy just isn't enough.
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 63
D
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
D Offline
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 63
Here's what I'm trying to figure out and spending many, many hours online looking for but can't find if it works. I haven't the 58+ 235 yet but would like to get the rest prepared before I do.

Take weld or bolt on mounts & pads similar to SBC into '53 car (http://www.superchevy.com/technical/chassis/frame/0203sc_eight/photo_16.html) then bolt the '58+ 235 side mount bracket similar to the 230/250 series blocks onto the pad. I know, I know, Langdons makes a bracket to bolt the later 235s to the '53 frame brackets/pads. I'm wanting to make a frame brackets that allows 235's, 250's and sbc to drop in interchangeably.


'53 BelAir 261 3spd/OD 4dr
'54 3100 235 3spd
'79 C30 with a '51 235-'57Bellhousing-'67SM420-14bolt dually
'89 V3500 350/465/205 SRW CC
One Chevy just isn't enough.
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,733
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,733
My suspicion is that if it were possible to have interchangable mounts then the factory would have don it. They are all past masters at cost cutting. It seems to be their driving force. (no pun intended)


1953 Chevy 5-window 3100
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Picturetrail

Dave
Engine & Driveline Moderator

If you can't make seventy by an easy road, don't go. ~~ Mark Twain
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 63
D
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
D Offline
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 63
Driving force indeed, lol. You would think. But they've got to be close. The three bolt pattern for the 230/250's and SBC's is a 3-bolt triangle pattern and so is the 58-63 car 235's, I not positive, but I think they're the same exact pattern, dimensions and distance from the rear of the block. This is what I'm trying to verify.
Thanks


'53 BelAir 261 3spd/OD 4dr
'54 3100 235 3spd
'79 C30 with a '51 235-'57Bellhousing-'67SM420-14bolt dually
'89 V3500 350/465/205 SRW CC
One Chevy just isn't enough.
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 63
D
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
D Offline
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 63
Figures, I'd find it after I posted.

'58+ car 235's triangle bolt pattern points up ^, the later 6's and SBC bolt pattern points down v. A little fab work could make a bracket. Anyone know if the bolt patterns are in the same location?


'53 BelAir 261 3spd/OD 4dr
'54 3100 235 3spd
'79 C30 with a '51 235-'57Bellhousing-'67SM420-14bolt dually
'89 V3500 350/465/205 SRW CC
One Chevy just isn't enough.
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 63
D
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
D Offline
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 63
Jeeez, please allow me to sit down now before I hurt myself. SBC mount pattern points down V http://www.cadvision.com/blanchas/54pontiac/motortranny.html, 250 six mount pattern points up ^, tugmaster's six http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=369630 and finally, 235's point down V, http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1440852&d=1317165481. At this rate however, I think I'll quit for the night.


'53 BelAir 261 3spd/OD 4dr
'54 3100 235 3spd
'79 C30 with a '51 235-'57Bellhousing-'67SM420-14bolt dually
'89 V3500 350/465/205 SRW CC
One Chevy just isn't enough.
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 63
D
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
D Offline
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 63
Correction to last. I just picked up a '58 235, bolt pattern points up. That 235 in my last post linking to jalopy journal must be a 52-54 which are upside down L patter. So, later 235, and 230/250 pattern points ^ and the SBC's point V.

Anyways, my new 235 is from a '58 step-side, has a truck BH but it has a driver-side clutch arm not the hydraulic passenger side. The trans doesn't have a mount on the bottom and the tail-shaft is long tapering down to a 16-spline stub. PO tossed the yoke & drive-shaft.

What do you think happened?
Original trans died so they swapped in an earlier truck BH/trans?


'53 BelAir 261 3spd/OD 4dr
'54 3100 235 3spd
'79 C30 with a '51 235-'57Bellhousing-'67SM420-14bolt dually
'89 V3500 350/465/205 SRW CC
One Chevy just isn't enough.

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0