| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
7 members (TUTS 59, 52Carl, Mike Roache, TooMany2count, Hawkman, Otto Skorzeny, 1 invisible),
98
guests, and
2
robots. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,101 Posts1,056,518 Members48,448 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | |
#77812 05/21/2007 2:49 AM | Joined: May 2007 Posts: 6 Junior Member | | Junior Member Joined: May 2007 Posts: 6 | Hello.
I joined because searches didn't really produce anything that helped me. I'm looking for suggestions / stories / advice regarding the strength of the stock 230 and 250 connecting rods. I'm considering using some in a 4 cylinder application and I'm curious what type of rpm or power levels they'd typically be wound to in a hot six.
Thanks. | | |
#77813 05/21/2007 2:58 AM | Joined: Sep 2004 Posts: 168 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Sep 2004 Posts: 168 | Check Leo Santucci's book. It will tell you everything you need to know.
Jason
Your lack of preparation is not my emergency
| | |
#77814 05/21/2007 2:54 PM | Joined: Feb 2000 Posts: 5,226 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Feb 2000 Posts: 5,226 | Try the Inliner.org site. I thought the rods were the same as SMB chevy's. Joe | | |
#77815 05/22/2007 11:40 AM | Joined: May 2007 Posts: 6 Junior Member | | Junior Member Joined: May 2007 Posts: 6 | Try the Inliner.org site. I thought the rods were the same as SMB chevy's. Joe Thanks. I've been looking through info at inliner.org. Rods may be similar to SBC, but dimensionally they are wider at base. I can't seem to find a set to look at right now to make any other judgements. Steel prices are up and all the local boys are getting rid of every piece of scrap metal they can find. | | |
#77816 05/24/2007 11:52 PM | Joined: Mar 2006 Posts: 76 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Mar 2006 Posts: 76 | The rods in these late model 6's seem pretty stout. I have a 292 with stock rods that had been cleaned up and shot peened and assembled with ARP bolts. I have run the engine in my '56 Chevy 2 door sedan for several seasons now driving it on the street and racing it at the drag strip fairly regularly and not a hint of rod or rod bearing issues. When racing the motor consistently see's 6800 to 7000 rpm. The 250/230 rods should be even tougher since they are shorter and have a shorter stroke to deal with. Leo's book is the ultimate authority on that sort of thing - but that's my experience. | | |
#77817 05/25/2007 12:04 PM | Joined: May 2007 Posts: 6 Junior Member | | Junior Member Joined: May 2007 Posts: 6 | Leo's book is the ultimate authority on that sort of thing - but that's my experience. Thank you. This is exactly what I'm looking for. I'll probably pick up the book this week but it's always good to hear from people who have actually used the parts in question. When racing the motor consistently see's 6800 to 7000 rpm. Wow. With a shorter stroke and lighter piston, I'm fairly sure my lil 4 cyl won't subject the rods to anywhere near that much force. | | |
#77818 05/25/2007 9:47 PM | Joined: Feb 2007 Posts: 385 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Feb 2007 Posts: 385 | Are you thinking about the early 153 ci four? I've been thinking about trying to do something with one of them myself. Let me know what you find out.
195? Chevy 3800 dump truck 1973 Chevy C30 cab and chassis 1987 Suburban 3/4 ton 6.2L Diesel
| | |
#77819 05/26/2007 1:22 AM | Joined: May 2007 Posts: 6 Junior Member | | Junior Member Joined: May 2007 Posts: 6 | Actually, I'm building a '97 2.2L Chevy engine. I'm trying to save a few $$ as I'm forced to spend about $400 on pistons. There are aftermarket Eagle rods available for the 230 / 250 engine, part no CRS5700SW3D, for around $400 and I may try to find 2 other ineterested guys with 4 cyl engines as it will bring pricing down. Check Leo Santucci's book. It will tell you everything you need to know. FWIW, bought the book, rushed home to read, and found little help. Some general advice on shot peening rods (same is available in most Chevrolet Power manuals), mention of tall deck 292 rod length and weight (I'm looking at standard deck rods) and many, many pictures of expensive and not-for-street aluminum rods. First or second chapter dives right into wonders of aftermarket parts for reciprocating assembly, so maybe this means Mr. Santucci does little with stock rods? | | |
| |
| |