The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
6 members (klhansen, tclederman, KEVINSKI, Swami29, StevenO, 55shaker), 107 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,114
Posts1,056,605
Members48,448
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 11
O
New Guy
New Guy
O Offline
Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 11
I'm about to pull my 292 out of my 72 burb.
I'm going to add power steering and I have brackets that use a belt between the generator and the p/s pump.

Does any one have a picture or better yet pictures of a 70ish 292 with A/C compressor monunted on the passenger side. (up high) and a HEI and the power steering set-up I mentioned. I'm thinking that if I go HEI there won't be room for compressor or really it's visa versa. I thought I would be able to find a old school looking type HEI with a remore coil but I'm not having any luck.

I also need the pictures to see if I have to get a two or three grove Harmonic balancer.
Any input would be helpful.
Thanks in adavance,
Joe

Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 1,002
L
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
L Offline
Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 1,002
In 74-75 the factory used an HEI with an external coil mounted on the side cover under the AC. That was also the first years for the HEI. I've also read that you can't convert the later HEI to an external coil because of the indexing on the cap, don't know how true that is. You could install a Pertronix in your original distributor for HEI. Hope that helps.

Larry


I don't own a vehicle that isn't old enough to drink.
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 2,074
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 2,074
Joe, you could keep the original dist. and install the Pertronix kit. As per Larry's info.


It's easier to get forgiveness than permission!
1946 1/2-Ton Chevy
1953 Chevy 3/4-ton Factory Stakebed
Joined: Apr 2000
Posts: 499
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Apr 2000
Posts: 499
Stovebolt Search for 292 P/S pump bracket.

AC pump bracket using part of VW Jetta bracket, which is where the pump came from. You can't see it in the photo, but there is a triangulated support that reaches to the lower bolt just behind the #2 spark plug. [img]http://www.home.earthlink.net/~roadruner/Ac2.jpg[/img]


'67 GMC 3/4 292 4spd
Joined: Apr 2000
Posts: 499
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Apr 2000
Posts: 499
As for the two or three grove harmonic balancer, I used the two groove style that was original to my engine. I added a pulley to the front of the balancer that bolts to the hub of the balancer just like Chevy does on V8's. Two advantages with this. I didn't have to go find a three groove and the extra pulley retains the balancer outer ring in the event of failure. I had one harmonic ring fly off, while I was driving down the freeway. I had another fall off on the ground, when I started the engine. The next one that fails may screw up the gear cover, but it's staying on the truck.


'67 GMC 3/4 292 4spd
Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 11
O
New Guy
New Guy
O Offline
Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 11
Thanks for the info. I pulled the engine and mounted to a engine stand. Befor I take it apart, I think what I'm going to do it find my bracket and put it on. and see if it looks like it will line up and how much clearance there is. the only thing is I don't have a compressor yet cause I wasn't sure which way I going with all this. But I've decided to refit a factory sytle air unit rather than spending $1,000+ for an aftermarket unit.
Richard, where did you get the pully you mentioned?

Joined: Apr 2000
Posts: 499
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Apr 2000
Posts: 499
What do you mean by "$1,000+ for an aftermarket unit"? You can find reman Sandans in the $300-350 range. The reman A-4 's are about half that.
You'll never find an AC bracket for the 292 in this life time, unless you are a hell of a lot luckier than most of us.
You can find 250 brackets for the A-4, but you have to extend it up to reach the head, which you know is higher on the 292. You have to get a new lower hose that is longer with extra bends to get it behind the part of the bracket(s) that bolts to the front of the block below the cam gear cover. Another part of the bracket(s) goes to the pass side motor mount, which you also know is in a different location than on the 250.
It's a massive piece (or rather four pieces) of S*** that you will have to do a lot of modification to, in order for it to fit.

I can't recall what the pulleys came off of. The crank pulley and the double water pump pulley could have came off a 250 with AC or even one with an A.I.R. pump.


'67 GMC 3/4 292 4spd
Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 11
O
New Guy
New Guy
O Offline
Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 11
I was goofing with the bracket last night and it sits real low. Also the current vacum line and some other line I forget right now... no coffee... seem to need re-routing. It looks like it will bolt right to the block however it will make real hard to get at the #1 and #2 plug.

I'll mock it up and maybe shoot a picture.
Joe
THe 1k was in referance to Vintage Air southern air ... that type of complete system... I'm not saying anything bad about them it's just baby needs a new pair of shoes


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0