The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (Otto Skorzeny, dt235sd, Peggy M, klhansen), 85 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,088
Posts1,056,390
Members48,442
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 14
N
New Guy
New Guy
N Offline
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 14
Just got my 1.5ton 40 firebolt running after 5years of on and off again engine rebuilding and other work.
Currently , I am using 80w90 Gear oil in the transmission. A four speed (L,1,2,H and reverse). If someone can verify this as a good choice or recommend a better alternative I would greatly appreciate it, as well as a suggestion for the power steering fluid. Everything is still original and the charging system (an old 6volt still works great. Needless to say I am totally thrilled.
Thanks, Norm

Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 6,214
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 6,214
NormDecou,

Welcome to the Stovebolt!

80w90 is what I run in all of my manual transmissions...

I can't help with Power Steering in a 1940 truck, I didn't even know they had PS way back then...

Mike B smile


Mike Boteler

1956 Chevy 3100 Resto Rod
1952 Willys M38 Army Jeep
1983 Jeep CJ7 Laredo
1984 Jeep CJ7
+++++
Silver Spring, MD
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 117
A
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
A Offline
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 117
i run 80w90 in mine too. power steering on a 1940? or do you mean the steering gear (aka steering box)?

Last edited by Alex an Mader; 08/22/2011 3:23 AM.

1966 Chevy C/60 Wrecker
Story in the Gallery
Pictures on Flickr

It don't rust if you run it hard enough
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 14
N
New Guy
New Guy
N Offline
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 14
Sorry,
I just meant the fluid that goes into the box for the steering gear Worm gear I think.
Thanks again,
Norm
Thanks for confirming the 80w90 gear oil for the manual transmission.

Joined: May 2009
Posts: 117
A
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
A Offline
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 117
i use 80w90 in the steering gear too


1966 Chevy C/60 Wrecker
Story in the Gallery
Pictures on Flickr

It don't rust if you run it hard enough
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 14
N
New Guy
New Guy
N Offline
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 14
Thanks,
I'll top up the steering box.
Norm

Joined: May 2009
Posts: 117
A
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
A Offline
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 117
glad i could help. post some pics of that firebolt soon, we'd all love ta see it.


1966 Chevy C/60 Wrecker
Story in the Gallery
Pictures on Flickr

It don't rust if you run it hard enough
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 14
N
New Guy
New Guy
N Offline
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 14
I'm going to start painting soon and I will post new pictures then. The old pictures posted under the 40's heavy trucks are still what it looks like with the exception of the big smile on my face now that I have the truck running.
Thanks again,
Norm

Joined: May 2009
Posts: 117
A
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
A Offline
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 117
nice truck norm!


1966 Chevy C/60 Wrecker
Story in the Gallery
Pictures on Flickr

It don't rust if you run it hard enough
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 2,988
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 2,988
If your steering box is leaking, a lot of guys have used John Deere Corn Head grease in them. That has been discussed here a lot. A search should turn up plenty of good reading on that topic.


Rich
1947 Loadmaster
1947 Chev. Loadmaster
1959 Chev. Viking 40

Life is short--eat dessert first!
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 75
R
New Guy
New Guy
R Offline
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 75
Rebuilt a New Prosess 5 speed & was told to use W-50 Synthetic oil in it. I dint,
Put in 80 90.


Moderated by  69Cuda, Super55 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0