Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,123 Posts1,056,653 Members48,450 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Aug 2011 Posts: 51 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Aug 2011 Posts: 51 | New guy here and would like to start off asking if any current factory production wheels will bolt up to a 1964 C10 shortbed axel without modifications?
I see tons of pre-owned wheels for sale on a few internet sites and would like to know what I can buy that will fit.
Part 2 of that question would be how much larger or what would be the biggest wheel and tire I could put on the truck?
I'm thinking I would like to go 20's or 22's if they fit. | | | | | Joined: Oct 2009 Posts: 426 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Oct 2009 Posts: 426 | What bolt pattern are you running? 5, 6, or 8? | | | | | Joined: Jun 2009 Posts: 2,201 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jun 2009 Posts: 2,201 | An original 1964 C10 would be six lug, same wheel stud pattern as the 4x4 GM up though the early 1990's.
| | | | | Joined: May 2006 Posts: 8,351 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: May 2006 Posts: 8,351 | While the bolt pattern is the same 6x5.5 as the older trucks, the wheelbackspacing and offset are different. Wheels from an '88-'98 4x4 or a '99-current 1/2 ton will not directly bolt up to the '70 and older 2wd and '87 and older 4x4 without hitting the control arms and tie rods. Some sort of adapter would be required. Since you're talking about 20" or 22' wheels, you will need to take into consideration a few more things, namely BRAKES, clearance, and tire load capacity. Note I capitalized brakes. By going with a large wheel like that, the brakes will need to be upgraded, preferably 4 wheel disk with power assist, with a 12" minimum rotor diameter. This is due to the extra weight the large wheels add over the stock wheels. Clearance could be an issue, depending on how wide you go with the tire. You may have to either increase the ride hight, or trim the fenders for clearance to allow for turning the front wheels. On the tires, lower aspect ratios generally lead to lower load capacity, as well as higher running pressures to maintain the rated capacity. This, in addition to the increased unsprung weight, will lead to poor ride quality. The larger tires, especially the wide versons, are also very sensative to alignment and rotation, and they tend to wear quickly.
Bill Burmeister | | | | | Joined: Aug 2011 Posts: 51 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Aug 2011 Posts: 51 | | | | | | Joined: Aug 2011 Posts: 51 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Aug 2011 Posts: 51 | Thanks very much for the information. I bought this truck to replace my current 2001 F150 which my 15 year old son has claimed as his for the 16th birthday. I am not much of a mechanic but I do have a vision. Here it is as I bought it a week ago. http://s994.photobucket.com/albums/af62/ScottAz2/ | | | | | Joined: Aug 2011 Posts: 51 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Aug 2011 Posts: 51 | There ya go. Those are good looking wheels.
I just need to make up my mind what I want to do with the truck. | | | | | Joined: May 2006 Posts: 8,351 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: May 2006 Posts: 8,351 | You can probably get a set of those with tires for a reasonable price as new take offs, usually in cases where the owner went with an aftermarket wheel/tire combo. It'll most likely take a 2" or so spacer/adapter to make them work. If you go that route, get the type that mount to the stock studs (you may want to go up a size for more strenth) and have a second set of studs that the wheel mounts to instead of the type that uses extra long studs. That type is much stonger. I will admit, I'm not a fan of spacers or adapters, but if done properly, they can be safe.
Bill Burmeister | | | | | Joined: May 2009 Posts: 117 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: May 2009 Posts: 117 | | | | | | Joined: Feb 2020 Posts: 1 Moderated | | Moderated Joined: Feb 2020 Posts: 1 | I would like to know what newer chevy wheels would fit my 1971 C10 2w/d 5 lugs maybe 17-18 I saw a lot of info here for the 64 pickup Tanks Vinny D | | | | | Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,836 Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) | | Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,836 | Let me share a little story about oversized wheels on an older vehicle. I investigate damage claims against places like Firestone, Goodyear, Tires Plus, and other franchise tire stores across several states in the southeast. One I looked at recently involved the loss of a wheel and tire from a late-1960's Oldsmobile Cutlass with original equipment drum brakes, after a tire rotation and balance job. Usually, such claims involve an error by a technician like forgetting to tighten and/or torque the lug nuts on one or more wheels, resulting in the nuts coming off while driving. No so this time- - - - -the lug nuts were properly tightened, and the wheel and brake drum were still together. The wheel loss was caused by the lug studs pulling completely through the hub flange.
Did I forget to mention the car had 24" wheels with "spinner" hubcaps, with tires with sidewalls about 2" tall mounted on them? The leverage of the big wheels had pulled the studs through a hub flange 1/4" thick! Jerry
"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt! There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
| | | | | Joined: Nov 2006 Posts: 231 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Nov 2006 Posts: 231 | 1963 Chevy C-10 Fleetside 1970 C-30 Dump Truck 2025 Silverado High Country 2500 Diesel 2012 Indian Chief Vintage serial #002 motorcycle 1946 Indian Chief, 1947 Indian Chief w/sidecar,2014 Indian Chieftain, 2015 Indian Scout | | |
| |