The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (Nick in Manitou, Bill Hanlon, moparguy, Peggy M), 135 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,109
Posts1,056,269
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 6
B
New Guy
New Guy
B Offline
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 6
I want to put an open drive line rearend in my truck with the six lug bolt patern. I've been told that the 64 to 69 pickup rear end would fit, but after buying a 66, 12 bolt rear end without my tape I found it to be two inches wider (64 inches wide, where the wheels bolt up to the drum face, instead of 62 inches that is in the 53)

Has anybody had any problems with the difference of widths?

I also came up with a open drive line 55 1st series rear end, rust and all, found in the weeds in the back 40.

If I use it, can a guy find a higher gear set up out of another rear end and what would it be?

Boy was this a mouthful of questions. I hope you can weed through this.

Boardwalk

Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 1,096
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 1,096
55 1st is a good rear to use , you can order a 3.3 : 1 gear set from Patricks for $$.

Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 324
2
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
2 Offline
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 324
I used a 55-1 series rear end in my 53. It is a bolt up deal. I also used a pumpkin from a mid 60's truck with a 3.90 ratio. Works great with my 3 speed over drive transmission. I am currently getting around 21 mpg. on the highway.
Tom

Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 147
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 147
I have a question that relates to this swap, can you just mount a later tailshaft on the earlier tranny? Is it just easier to swap in a tranny from an open driveshaft truck?
Bob


55 Cameo 396 TH 400 with overdrive
65 Caliente conv
67 BB Caliente conv
67 Mercury 1 Ton
76 GMC 3/4 ton 454ci
84 Buick Turbo Regal
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 324
2
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
2 Offline
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 324
It is easier to swap the transmission from the open drive line. I don't think the intermediate shaft in the transmissions will be the same.

Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 46
W
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
W Offline
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 46
over the winter I did the same swap in my wife's '50 1/2 ton truck, I used a 12 bolt rearend from a '67 1/2 chevy truck, it was 62" wide, I also bought a 12 bolt 1/2 ton rearend from a '70 model chevy truck, it was 64" wide, but I just wanted the posi & gears out of it.

Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,029
B
Member
Member
B Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,029
A tailshaft from a one ton transmission of the same year should fit and will have open drive.

Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 33
P
Apprentice
Apprentice
P Offline
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 33
Would a trans from a 53 Chevy car fit into a 40 chevy pickup and are they a good match?

Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 348
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 348
one ich on each side will not make a difference if you run stock wheels no one will notice one inch. i will not tell anyone your wheel is sticking out one inch more if you dont.


1949 SUBURBAN
In the Gallery

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0