The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (2-Ton, cmayna, 1955 1 Series, tclederman), 85 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,134
Posts1,056,402
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#76933 05/01/2007 5:05 AM
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 256
M
Member
Member
M Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 256
I have a stream of oil leaking out of my hub,its a slow leak,I wiped it down last night and went back to look this morning and the stream was back. It got all over My break pad..you know made a mess.It is a 55 3/4...I am not sure if it is Brak fluid? i am not sure what the hell it is thats leaking, i am not a Mech...but learning as i go. i just dont want to start busting nuts off for no reason..Any Ideas? MIke G


HURRY UP AND WAIT 55 235 3/4
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
A
'Bolter
'Bolter
A Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
Mike G.

Whatever it is you're going to have to 'bust nuts', and after the drum is off, all will be revealed! smile

Stuart

Joined: May 2006
Posts: 256
M
Member
Member
M Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 256
Time to turn on the compressor....I knew it..


HURRY UP AND WAIT 55 235 3/4
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,100
3
3B Offline
'Bolter
'Bolter
3 Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,100
Hy Mike G., Are your axle bolts tight? The leak may just be loose axle retaining bolts, try tightening them up first and see how loose they are. Hope that helps.

Joined: May 2006
Posts: 256
M
Member
Member
M Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 256
I will try that..By Hand> Or air tools..


HURRY UP AND WAIT 55 235 3/4
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 3,458
4
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
4 Offline
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 3,458
You are going to have to replace those brake shoes either way.


Paint & Body Shop moderator
A lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 256
M
Member
Member
M Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 256
Thats what I thought,,(Replace Pads)..they were ready for replace all around. so now is a good time. Time get out my truck Manual..ha ha ha


HURRY UP AND WAIT 55 235 3/4
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 256
M
Member
Member
M Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 256
Boy...I wish I had some of the 1955 tools they used back then.I guess i will wing it..It does not look to complicated,the manual has a nice exploded view of the wheel hub.


HURRY UP AND WAIT 55 235 3/4
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
Mike you said a ¾ ton right, are you talking about a front hub or rear??
I have seen the fronts packed with chassis grease and this will turn to liquid and run back into the inside of the drum when it gets hot. The back could be the seal or gasket leaking allowing hypoid grease into the drum. And you seem to stress “pads”, is this not a stock brake system on your truck, it should have “shoes”.
Denny G


Denny G
Sandwich, IL
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 256
M
Member
Member
M Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 256
I meant shoes...sorry, its the Back passanger side, I took off the axle shaft,and there was a metal gasket between the axle shaft and hub,it seemed to have that rubber instant gasket seal on it...there was oil running out at this time. I jacked it up a bit more so the oil would stop running out.I tightend the adjusting nut lock,and I am going to put some gasket seal on the metal gasket before I put the shaft back in. I have a grease gun..should I load it with universal grease at this time? M/G


HURRY UP AND WAIT 55 235 3/4
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,814
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,814
If it's only leaking at the axle flange, not out of the brake drum, you've found the problem. Clean everything up with a solvent like spray brake cleaner or carb cleaner, reapply some silicone gasket sealer (just a small bead) and reassemble it. Those axle bolts need about 65 ft./lb. of torque or so, so don't be timid. You don't need to pack the hub with grease; it's lubed by the rear end oil. Just keep the oil level in the center housing level with the fill hole, so a little can flow down the axle tubes and lube the hubs.

If it's leaking out of the bottom of the inside of the brake drum, ignore all of the above and tear down and replace the brakes, and change the inner grease seal on the hub while you're in there.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 256
M
Member
Member
M Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 256
Awsome...thanks,,1 more Question, all I have is air tools and manual ratchets, i do not have a tourq wrench..What should i use


HURRY UP AND WAIT 55 235 3/4
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,100
3
3B Offline
'Bolter
'Bolter
3 Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,100
Hy Mike G. A torque wrench is a very basic tool if you're going to work on your truck, so buy one, or rent one for this job and buy one when you can. As Hotrod Lincoln said the studs must be tight, they transmit all the power from the axle to the hub, hope that helps.

Joined: May 2006
Posts: 256
M
Member
Member
M Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 256
I agree...I knew i would need one sooner or later..this is probably a good enough reason to buy 1..sure would like to wait til I got down to the Colorado flee market though


HURRY UP AND WAIT 55 235 3/4
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 256
M
Member
Member
M Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 256
I just noticed something, In my shop Manual it shows them leaving in 2 bolts when the shaft was taken out...Was that important..and will I be able to put the shaft back in and lined up corectly as i didnt leave 2 bolts in the holes like The Illistration.


HURRY UP AND WAIT 55 235 3/4
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 256
M
Member
Member
M Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 256
Thanks Hotrod...all fixed..I did what you said and no more problem...Awsome...M/G


HURRY UP AND WAIT 55 235 3/4
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 863
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 863
Some local parts stores rent Tools. smile


My GMC has a bad case of ship fitters disease!
GMC: Get More Cash...
1958 GMC
1956 Chevy 1500 Hydraulic Dump Truck
1952 Chevy 1700 3-Ton Firetruck

My Webshots photos

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0