The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
7 members (BC59, 46truck, Ponchogl, Shade Baby, Hotrod Lincoln, Woodcmiami, 1 invisible), 112 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,121
Posts1,056,328
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#76782 04/25/2007 8:49 PM
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 595
1
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
1 Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 595
guys! does anyone make a hydraulic throwout bearing setup for a 235? or has anyone built one? thanks grin

Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 581
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 581
I came across this when I was searching for Jeep fittings. It's for Chevy V8 bellhousings but maybe you could jerryrig something with their kit.

Hydraulic Clutch Slave Cylinder Retrofit for Chevrolet Bellhousings

This is just a hydraulic linkage solution. It still uses the conventional throwout bearing.


Larry Kephart
1937 Chevy Utility Express (Deerslayer)
1955 1st 3100 Chevy (BillyBob)
2017 Cadillac ATS-V (Elvira)
Boca Raton, Florida
e-mail: [email protected]

http://www.laroke.com/larryk4674/1998/billybob.htm
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 595
1
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
1 Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 595
the reason i was asking was to freeup some space for brake upgrade. thanks

Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
G
.
.
G Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
How about a right hand drive bell housing and an external slave cylinder?
This assuming the right hand drive has a right side clutch throwout fork opening in the bell housing? I know some other cars switched sides for ths when right hand drive. Did Chevy?

Grigg


•1951 GMC 250 in the Project Journals
•1948 Chevrolet 6400 - Detroit Diesel 4-53T - Roadranger 10 speed overdrive - 4 wheel disc brakes
•1952 Chevrolet 3800 pickup
---All pictures---
"First, get a clear notion of what you desire to accomplish, and then in all probability you will succeed in doing it..." -Henry Maudslay-
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,029
B
Member
Member
B Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,029
60-61 V8 truck bellhousings had the right hand hydraulic fork, did the 235s?

Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 595
1
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
1 Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 595
mmm! have to check the old 60' i have in the back of the property it has a 235 in it. thanks!

Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 257
R
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
R Offline
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 257
I converted to a T-5 transmission on my 235 and have a hydraulic T.O. bearing from Summit Racing. I believe it is a Howe. I can't see why this wouldn't fit on a 235 with an SM420 transmission. I can send pics if you'd like.


1950 Chevrolet 3100 "One Step Forward, Two Steps Back"
Webshot Photos

Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
G
.
.
G Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
I would try to find a way to make it work without a hydraulic throwout bearing.

Unless you enjoy removing the drive shaft and transmission to replace a leaky cylinder. And if you have a torque tube rear axle it is even more fun, as the rear axle or springs have to be unbolted to allow the transmission to be removed.

Who ever though of a hydraulic throwout bearing should be forced to replace every single one that ever failed.


•1951 GMC 250 in the Project Journals
•1948 Chevrolet 6400 - Detroit Diesel 4-53T - Roadranger 10 speed overdrive - 4 wheel disc brakes
•1952 Chevrolet 3800 pickup
---All pictures---
"First, get a clear notion of what you desire to accomplish, and then in all probability you will succeed in doing it..." -Henry Maudslay-
#76790 04/28/2007 12:18 PM
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 121
C
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
C Offline
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 121
Grigg has the same opinion as I. I can't understand why they ever came up with such a stupid idea. Simple linkage worked for close to 100 years, what more could you want. I have had nothing but grief with the hydraulic clutch actuation systems. Usually when a manufacturer makes a change, it is because it (usually) is cheaper, or sometimes is better. This system is more costly and certainly is not nearly as trouble free as before. If there is any way possible, make the linkage work.

Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
G
.
.
G Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
And if you can't do it with linkage, use an external slave cylinder.


•1951 GMC 250 in the Project Journals
•1948 Chevrolet 6400 - Detroit Diesel 4-53T - Roadranger 10 speed overdrive - 4 wheel disc brakes
•1952 Chevrolet 3800 pickup
---All pictures---
"First, get a clear notion of what you desire to accomplish, and then in all probability you will succeed in doing it..." -Henry Maudslay-
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 4,215
Leo Offline
Moderator
Moderator
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 4,215
My '53 has the old torque tube/propeller shaft setup and I didn't loosen the rearend to get the tranny out. There is a sleeve on the front of the drive shaft that you can pull back to expose the U joint. I took the U joint apart and pulled out the transmission.

Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
G
.
.
G Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
1953 Panel,
That's good to know. I have only worked on 1 ton and up AD Chevy's. But my experience with other torque tube rears include Model A, B, and V8 fords, and a 38 Buick. They all required removing more than you want to to get the transmission out. I always thought Chevy's were slightly easier to work on in general, this being another example.

I am still of the opinion that there is no good excuse for using a hydraulic throwout bearing.
Grigg


•1951 GMC 250 in the Project Journals
•1948 Chevrolet 6400 - Detroit Diesel 4-53T - Roadranger 10 speed overdrive - 4 wheel disc brakes
•1952 Chevrolet 3800 pickup
---All pictures---
"First, get a clear notion of what you desire to accomplish, and then in all probability you will succeed in doing it..." -Henry Maudslay-
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 3,458
4
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
4 Offline
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 3,458
I've got a 235/261 bellhousing from a '62 suburban in my garage. It has a slave cylinder on the outside, on the right.


Paint & Body Shop moderator
A lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 887
N
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
N Offline
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 887
I've got a Howe TOB on my t-5 behind a 261. No reason you couldn't do the same thing with a sm-420 and a 235. However, it would be easier to repair 3-5 years down the road when the TOB fails if you used a standard TOB and slave cylinder. The larger truck belhousings came set up for that. If you've got the stock sm-420 and closed driveline, by the time the hydraulic TOB fails you'll be ready to upgrade to a t-5 or it'll be time to change the clutch plate.

Instead of using a Howe TOB from speedway or whatever, you might consider using the Jeep Cherokee hydrulic TOBs- They cost around $70 from autozone. Then you'd need a mastercylinder and someway to mount it. I mounted mine next to the brake booster and hooked it up to the original pedal. Next time I do it, I'll use the jeep TOB/MC if the id of the TOB is the same as the OC of the tranny input shaft housing.

I understand your problem though, the reason I went with the hydraulic TOB is that with a power brake booster in the stock M/C location you can't use the mechanical linkage.

Have you considered hydrovac brakes rather than the booster/m-c set up? The larger trucks came with power brakes that used a hydrovac unit bolted to the frame under the passanger side of the cab so it wouldn't interfer with the clutch linkage.


'51 Chevy 1/2 ton w/'62 261, HEI, offy, fentons, dual carter/webbers, t-5 & 12 bolt posi
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 3,458
4
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
4 Offline
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 3,458
The external slave cylinder bellhousings moved the linkage to the passenger side to avoid that problem.


Paint & Body Shop moderator
A lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.
#76797 05/02/2007 10:02 PM
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 887
N
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
N Offline
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 887
Maybe 4onthefloor will sell or trade you the bellhousing he's got! Then all you'll have to figure out is the clutch mastercylinder, which pretty easy. Wilwood makes one and all you've got to do is build the mount.


'51 Chevy 1/2 ton w/'62 261, HEI, offy, fentons, dual carter/webbers, t-5 & 12 bolt posi
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,832
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,832
My 98 Ranger 2.5 has 222 thousand miles on it with the same hydraulic TO bearing, one of the guys that works at the shop has a 94 2.3 with 336K miles and Big G Auto Parts in Princeton, Texas has a 98 Ranger 2.5 parts delivery truck with over 400K on it with the same bearing. I guess if changing one out every 300 thousand miles or so bugs you then you shouldn't use one.


Evan
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,832
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,832
Should have said the 94 has a slave cylinder and using it as a comparison.


Evan
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 385
S
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
S Offline
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 385
NM51, why did you select the T-5? I want to get more gears for my '73 C-30 and '51 4400, but I've been thinking of the AX15 instead of the T-5. I realize that the AX15 is only a medium duty transmission, but I'm not planning on doing any max load max effort hauling.


195? Chevy 3800 dump truck
1973 Chevy C30 cab and chassis
1987 Suburban 3/4 ton 6.2L Diesel

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0