| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
1 members (klhansen),
158
guests, and
5
robots. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,089 Posts1,056,141 Members48,436 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Jun 2011 Posts: 42 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Jun 2011 Posts: 42 | Gents,
Got a puzzle here - 1949 1-Ton GMC 270 cid engine 4:56 rear end 4 speed on the floor Original size tires on 17" rims
What speed can I expect to be able to drive this truck without stressing the engine too much? Hoping for 45mph on country back roads. Maybe 50mph???
What about RPMs? I believe the max recommended engine speed by GMC/Chevrolet is 3400 RPM for this engine. Any idea what 45 to 50mph will will take engine RPM to?
Thanks for the help. Marc
| | | | | Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,878 . | | . Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,878 | | | | | | Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 1,107 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 1,107 | not knowing how tall the tires are you wont be able to figure it out. so using the link grigg posted it says my 40 250 will run 2261 rpm @ 45mph and 2512 rpm @ 50 mph. that is with a 4.56 rear, 30.5" tires(7:50x16's). that's exactly what my tach in the truck read at 50 all the way to aths southbend show and back for a total of 1300 miles. lots of seat time to listen to the 270 sing. while i was there a friend of mine ran it up over 3000 rpm for a short duration. because i was too busy freaking out what he was doing to my engine i didnt get a chance to see how fast we were going while he was laughing at my drama. he assured me it could do that all day long and probably can just get used to the noise. being it a 49 the cab design will make it quieter and you shouldnt notice it as much at least thats how it is in the "Ashton". i run that at 53mph and its turning that 270 2700-2800 rpm and you can have a conversation in the cab. in the 40 no way. id wait until you have the truck to worry about that. your driving yourself nuts. been there done that hope that helps. | | | | | Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 9,115 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 9,115 | The trick is knowing the rolling radius of your tires. Common tires you can look up on "The Tire Rack" and find out the revs/mile. That figure multiplied by the rear end ratio gives you the RPM at 60 mph. | | | | | Joined: Jun 2011 Posts: 42 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Jun 2011 Posts: 42 | Grigg / 51 Ashton / Truckernix - thank you for the replies. I plugged some numbers in calculator Grigg posted and looks like engine speed would be 2550RPM at 50mph. I'm guessing tire radius is 30" with the 17" rims on that truck. Puts me a little more at ease in regards to not being too much of a burden on the flow of traffic...
51 Ashton - yes, I think I am driving myself nuts... Obsessive Compulsive behavior carries right over to buying an old truck! Good think I don't have much hair to pull out anymore.
Thanks, Marc
| | | | | Joined: Dec 2010 Posts: 48 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Dec 2010 Posts: 48 | I ran my 5:14 rear truck with 216 for years as fast as I could. 50-60 mph. It had original engine and finally died from burnt valves and excessive piston clearance at 103,000 miles. Had 89,000 hard farmer miles on it when I bought it. Just run it and enjoy yourself. I could tell when to let off when the noise got to a certain pitch.
1950 3804 Pickup
| | | | | Joined: Jun 2008 Posts: 1,388 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jun 2008 Posts: 1,388 | I drive at 50 mph every day. I've got the 5.14 in there. My motor was rebuilt in '89. I don't know how many miles were on it before it sat for years and years ('till I got it), but I've put 17,000 breakneck miles on my truck in the past three years. | | |
| |
| |