The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
1 members (66flea), 154 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,086
Posts1,056,334
Members48,442
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 84
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 84
I have yet to see exactly what goes in this hole.

Every time I see it (car shows etc) I ask and the owners say they don't know but they re routed the heater, or added AC etc.

What is the original "stock" reason for this hole. It looks like my truck had something there but didn't when I got the truck

Firewall Hole - PIC

Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,780
G
Master Gabster
Master Gabster
G Offline
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,780
A ranco heater valve and both heater hoses.

Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 84
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 84
so with the Ranco heater are the other holes (bottom left of firewall) just not used?

Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,780
G
Master Gabster
Master Gabster
G Offline
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,780
This is from a 54 with a fresh air heater. very similar to yours. Notice the mounting bolts on the fire wall are form the heater itself. On the interior picture, notice the valve going through the firewall and the valve rod/switch located on the dash.

firewall view

Interior view

Found the info here:

Originally Posted by LonnieC
I painted and installed the Air Flow heater in my '54 3100. Here are the details that I discussed and questioned earlier in this thread:

Clutch Head Bolts: I bought 1/4-20 clutch head bolts from Paragon Corvette. According to the '51 Accessories Installation Manual, a hex head bolt must be used in the center hole near the firewall. Can't reach it with a screwdriver; difficult with a wrench. The '54 manual implies that the bolt is left out. The new heater gasket is not punched for the bolt. I used a hex head in the hole.

Paint: I painted the heater housing with Hammerite Rust Cap Bronze #HAM-41185. It is very close to the original color that I found under the motor gasket. It has a more pronounced texture than the original paint.

Air Flow Decal: I used the decal from Jim Carter. I also bought a decal from Chevs of the 40's. It was not the decal pictured on line or in my earlier posting. It was like the Jim Carter decal, only not as shiney. I sanded the paint under the decal so that the texture of the paint does not affect the decal.

12v Motor: I used a 12v motor from a 1960 Chevy car. Probably got some sand in it when I sand blasted it, but it sounds ok and blows like a hurricane. It is a little smaller in diameter than the original 6v motor and the mounting bolts are about 1/8" closer together. I filed the mounting holes in the heater case to fit the bolts. The opening in the new firewall gasket from Jim Carter is smaller that the original and fits the new 12v motor perfectly. I painted the gray metal gasket ring black. Note - square drive screws into the gasket ring look like clutch head if you don't look too closely.

Ranco Valve: The rebuilt Ranco valve has a maroon knob instead of black. Doesn't bother me. I painted the mounts for the temperature control and the recirculating cable to match the heater instead of the dash. Seems like the white "Pull ..." decal could not be seen on pearl beige.

Heater Hose Clip: I made a clip for the heater hoses using photos that Gus (DADS50) sent to me.

Fan Switch: I bought a broken fan switch for $20 to make the installation look correct and hooked a fabric wire in a dead loop as if it is connected to power. I replaced the broken porcelin on the resistor with plaster and white shellac primer.

"Real" Fan Switch: I mounted a 12v three-speed rotary switch to the kick panel above the dash so that it is hidden. Although it looks close in the photo, the resistor is not near any wire.

The '54 Accessories Installation Manual says to mount the fan switch on the right of the air control cable, same as the '51 manual. My dash is predrilled to mount it on the left of the cable. I have pix of an unrestored '54 that also has the fan switch on the left. Wonder if the mounting was changed in '54 and not documented in the manual?

Thanks to everyone who helped and answered my questions.

- Lonnie

Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 84
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 84
That's great! Thanks.

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,596
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,596
Here is how it looks if you have a Recirculating heater you will notice the extra hole for the Air-Flow type has not been punched out.
http://community.webshots.com/photo/2391868880102454676zDezzw

Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 159
H
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
H Offline
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 159
Great post! Thanks. I finally located at various junkyards, the underdash brackets that are needed for the Ranco valve on the right side, and the flex cable for the fresh air/ recirc cable on the left of the steering wheel.

Anyone know if these are available as repos?

Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,557
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,557
harryr is this what you are looking for ?

brackets


Tim


1951 3100 Chevrolet
1951 Chevrolet Suburban Carryall
Image
"A house is built with boards and beams. A home is built with love and dreams."
"Look deep before you leap !!!" / "Everything is Everything"
"If I say a mouse can pull a house, hitch him up"
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 159
H
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
H Offline
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 159
Wow, thank you so much. I wasn';t aware they were available. Also, weren't you the person who was nice enough to send me an extra grommet about 6 mos ago?

1,000 thanks.

Harry

Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,557
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,557
It was me,just helping a fellow bolter out.


TIM


1951 3100 Chevrolet
1951 Chevrolet Suburban Carryall
Image
"A house is built with boards and beams. A home is built with love and dreams."
"Look deep before you leap !!!" / "Everything is Everything"
"If I say a mouse can pull a house, hitch him up"

Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0