The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (GRNHydra, Gdads51, Hotrod Lincoln), 69 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,089
Posts1,056,353
Members48,442
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#76185 04/11/2007 3:58 AM
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 135
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 135
I am putting a 250 in my 52 GMC to replace the 228. I did a search to find out if the bellhousing bolt patterns are the same on the 228 and the 250. I couldn't find out what I need to know. I know that I will have to convert to side motor mounts. If the bellhousing will bolt up, then I will fit a borg warner T 10 to the stock bellhousing using the tricks that make the T 5 swap work. Am I off base here or should I use the bell housing that is on the 250 and use a tranny mount along with the new side mnunts for the engine?

#76186 04/11/2007 5:17 AM
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
You'll need a 250 bell housing.


"It's just a phase. He'll grow out of it." Mama, 1964

1956 Chevy 1/2-ton 3100
1953 Chevy 6100 "The Yard dog"
1954 GMC Suburban Now with a new proud owner.
#76187 04/11/2007 5:35 AM
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
O
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
Quote
Originally posted by smittyschevy:
should I use the bell housing that is on the 250 and use a tranny mount along with the new side mnunts for the engine?
I don't know what bell housing you have on the 250. If you use the correct early V-8 type bellhousing, which could be on the 250 already, and change to a '54-'55 1st bellhousing crossmember (or make up some mounts) you can use your T-10 without a lot of tricks. You will have to change to an open rear.

But as Cletis said you can not use the 228 bellhousing on the 250.


1955 1st GMC Suburban | 1954 GMC 250 trailer puller project | 1954 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic | 1954 Chevy 3100 . 1947 Chevy COE | and more...
It's true. I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble...
#76188 04/11/2007 6:31 PM
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 135
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 135
Does anyone know if the 55 pass car bell housing is the same for the 54-55 1st? Thanks!

#76189 04/11/2007 9:11 PM
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
W
Riding in the Passing Lane
Riding in the Passing Lane
W Offline
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
The 6 cyl. will enterchange but will not fit the 250. The v-8 will fit the 250 engine. You can do like Oldsub say,s & get a 54-55 1st crossmember or wack your crossmember up & put one under the engine & one under the rear of the trans. Then you have to change to the open drive shaft.


They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing.
1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne Super
In the Gallery Forum
#76190 04/12/2007 4:20 AM
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 135
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 135
OK ! Thanks for the help, gentlemen. I( think I've got it straight. Now I've got to deceide which to do, find the right bell housing, or cut up the existing crossmember.
I know where I can get a 55 v 8 bellhousing from passenger car, but will have to look for the proper crossmember.
I've got a 12 bolt ready to install as well.


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0