The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (wilbur53, Bill Hanlon, Ponchogl, Otto Skorzeny), 92 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,113
Posts1,056,616
Members48,450
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 146
L
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
L Offline
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 146
Aaaaah! Ok, I have been told this Thing is a 216, 235, and a 261. "I" dont know. Here is a link to the eng. pic
http://groups.msn.com/acmountainviewranch/thingsphotoalbum.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=322
Now, Thing is a 1953 3800 1 ton. He has a 3 speed and I am "told" he has a 488 rear. I dont know if any of these are original. I assume so, but what do I know? Things odometer reads over 94K, and it does roll still. I am keeping the engine as it is still strong, but I need a new gasket as he has a leak. I would like to change out rear and tranny, any suggestions on that? (to make a better driver)
Ok guys! have fun, let me know what Thing is!


Chey
LOST1953
My favorite color is CHROME
The ugliest trucks are driven by the prettiest girls wink
I dont suffer from insanity, I enjoy it!
O Lord, WHY did I buy another "Thing"? (again??)
----
1953 Chevy 3800 1-ton Gallery
More photos at MSN
----
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,464
W
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
W Offline
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,464
I think you can eliminate the 216 by the way the valve cover is mounted but here's how to tell for sure: Look at the numbers stamped on the flat area just behind the distributor - then - you can follow the links under tech tips to i.d. it or just post them back on here and one of these experts can decode it for you.

Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
Just judging from the rocker cover, I'd say it's a '58-'62. All of the '55-'57 235/261 engines I've seen have the filler at the front of the cover, the '58 and later seem to be all to the center. Looks like the radiator has been changed, too. The upper hose should be lined up straight with the neck on the engine, not at an angle.
In addition to the # by the distributor, there's also a casting date above the starter that will narrow things down as well.
For the rear gears, you'll have 5.13s. That's the only gear ratio that was used on those trucks, unless the center section was changed to a 3/4 ton, then it's most likely a 4.56. It should have a 4 speed, but there was a somewhat rare option of a heavy duty 3 speed in the 1 ton.


Bill Burmeister
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 146
L
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
L Offline
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 146
http://groups.msn.com/acmountainviewranch/thingsphotoalbum.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=325
here is a link to Things #'s. I have also posted side pics of eng as well. I know, that hose needs fixed and radiator as well. The fan on it (now) sticks out to far to put the original sized rad. in. So I have to change that as well (plugs/wires/dist, and I am sure other stuff as well)


Chey
LOST1953
My favorite color is CHROME
The ugliest trucks are driven by the prettiest girls wink
I dont suffer from insanity, I enjoy it!
O Lord, WHY did I buy another "Thing"? (again??)
----
1953 Chevy 3800 1-ton Gallery
More photos at MSN
----
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 99
W
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
W Offline
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 99
If it's a 235, shouldn't a "235" be stamped on the side of the oil pan? Wouldn't hurt to check and see. Wada

Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 146
L
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
L Offline
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 146
***Going to crawl under truck...again...***


Chey
LOST1953
My favorite color is CHROME
The ugliest trucks are driven by the prettiest girls wink
I dont suffer from insanity, I enjoy it!
O Lord, WHY did I buy another "Thing"? (again??)
----
1953 Chevy 3800 1-ton Gallery
More photos at MSN
----
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
Just from the casting # by the starter, the block was cast June 9 of '58. If you can get the # that's stamped on the pad directly behund the distributor, that will tell exactly what the engine is. I'd also like to add that I've never seen a full pressure 235 with anything stamped on the pan to give engine size. I think that only applies to the babbit pounders.


Bill Burmeister
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
If this helps, here are a couple of pix showing the serial # that I speak of.
http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2425962150092261295HnQBNK
http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2600814650092261295DOcELx


Bill Burmeister
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 3,458
4
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
4 Offline
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 3,458
Since your temperature gauge has an adaptor fit to it instead of going right into the head, its definately not a 216.

I can't quite make out the casting number on the head, but it looks like the valve cover was set up for PCV at one time.


Paint & Body Shop moderator
A lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 146
L
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
L Offline
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 146
so, we have eliminated the 216, but 235/261????


Chey
LOST1953
My favorite color is CHROME
The ugliest trucks are driven by the prettiest girls wink
I dont suffer from insanity, I enjoy it!
O Lord, WHY did I buy another "Thing"? (again??)
----
1953 Chevy 3800 1-ton Gallery
More photos at MSN
----
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 112
D
Member
Member
D Offline
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 112
when i zoom in on pic. it gets pretty blurry but i think you got a 261. right above the starter it looks like it has the captains bars. that would be a 261...

Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 37
5
Apprentice
Apprentice
5 Offline
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 37
I have a 235 in my bolt...and it doesn't look like that one...process of elimination. Take a look at my pics...I have acouple of the 235 when I pulled it out...and as I am rebuilding. Enjoy!


What have I gotten myself into?
58 Apache
65 C10
76 Silverado 4x4
03 2500 HD Duramax
http://s223.photobucket.com/albums/dd10/jbreen33/
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,158
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,158
Chey:

Could you post the number on the boss just aft of the distributor?

You may need a wire brush to get to it.

That should tell us once and for all what year and application this block is.


~#~#~#~#~
1946 Chevrolet 3600 - "Old Number Seven"

Cavalry's Here. Cavalry's a frightened guy with a rock, but it's here.
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,158
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,158
Bump.


~#~#~#~#~
1946 Chevrolet 3600 - "Old Number Seven"

Cavalry's Here. Cavalry's a frightened guy with a rock, but it's here.
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 146
L
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
L Offline
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 146
:hammering:


Chey
LOST1953
My favorite color is CHROME
The ugliest trucks are driven by the prettiest girls wink
I dont suffer from insanity, I enjoy it!
O Lord, WHY did I buy another "Thing"? (again??)
----
1953 Chevy 3800 1-ton Gallery
More photos at MSN
----
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,158
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,158
Quote
I previously posted:
Chey:

Could you post the number on the boss just aft of the distributor?

You may need a wire brush to get to it.

That should tell us once and for all what year and application this block is.
:confused:


~#~#~#~#~
1946 Chevrolet 3600 - "Old Number Seven"

Cavalry's Here. Cavalry's a frightened guy with a rock, but it's here.
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 385
S
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
S Offline
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 385
I'm going through the same identification issue with the engine in my 1951 4400. The problem is complicated by the fact that its a re-manufactured engine, most likely a 1954.

The 3836848 cylinder head casting number is one that I did a lot of research on yesterday. These seem to have been the heads of choice because they had a slightly smaller combustion chamber than the others. Higher compression ratio = more power if it doesn't have pre-ignition problems.


195? Chevy 3800 dump truck
1973 Chevy C30 cab and chassis
1987 Suburban 3/4 ton 6.2L Diesel
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 324
C
Member
Member
C Offline
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 324
That looks more like one of the newer style sixes. What are they? like 290s or some thing?


"It ain't a truck if you can't hose out the cab."
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 146
L
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
L Offline
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 146
3738307 the #'s!


Chey
LOST1953
My favorite color is CHROME
The ugliest trucks are driven by the prettiest girls wink
I dont suffer from insanity, I enjoy it!
O Lord, WHY did I buy another "Thing"? (again??)
----
1953 Chevy 3800 1-ton Gallery
More photos at MSN
----
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 146
L
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
L Offline
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 146
AND F6IOJ (the I may be a 1?)


Chey
LOST1953
My favorite color is CHROME
The ugliest trucks are driven by the prettiest girls wink
I dont suffer from insanity, I enjoy it!
O Lord, WHY did I buy another "Thing"? (again??)
----
1953 Chevy 3800 1-ton Gallery
More photos at MSN
----

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0