The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 73 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,093
Posts1,056,474
Members48,444
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#76098 04/09/2007 4:52 AM
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 230
T
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
T Offline
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 230
I am going to change the fronts to disks and keep the back the orignial drum brakes. quesitons: 1)do I need to convert to a power brake, or can I simply keep the original brake hydraulic cylinder with a proportioning valve ?
2) Also, from reading other posts, it seems that I should convert the fronts to 5 lug wheels, right ?
Thankd in advance

Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
W
Riding in the Passing Lane
Riding in the Passing Lane
W Offline
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
You should convert to power brakes. You have to use a dual master cylinder with a combination valve. The advantage to converting to 5 lugs is the price of the parts. If your rear is still 6 lugs & your wheels are it would be best to get 6 lug rotors.


They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing.
1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne Super
In the Gallery Forum
#76100 04/09/2007 10:38 PM
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 230
T
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
T Offline
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 230
I thought I read in one of the posts that the original 6 lug wheels won't work with disk brakes......so....I figured as long as I had to buy different wheels for the front, that I would get 5 lug. I figued to have 15" 5 lug wheels on the front and original 6 lug 15" wheels on the back, knowing full well that I can't rotate them of course.

#76101 04/09/2007 11:08 PM
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
W
Riding in the Passing Lane
Riding in the Passing Lane
W Offline
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
There may be a problem there. So many don,t use original wheels. Maybe some other bolters will come in & help out.


They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing.
1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne Super
In the Gallery Forum
#76102 04/10/2007 12:14 AM
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 2,384
6
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
6 Offline
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 2,384
Quote
Originally posted by Tim K:
I thought I read in one of the posts that the original 6 lug wheels won't work with disk brakes......
Some fit & some don't, sometimes a little grinding on the caliper will work. Brian


My \'64\'s in the Gallery
Pictures in my Photobucket
1964 C10 Custom Cab 350/700R4
1964 Suburban 350/700R4
1979 Ford F350 4x4 400/c6
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 1,552
4
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
4 Offline
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 1,552
I have never had trouble finding wheels, aftermarket or original, to fit the six lug configuration on the '64-'66 Chevy trucks. I put a brand new set from an '86 Chevy K1500 on my '66 Chevy C10, back in 1986. I have a 2000 Z-71 Tahoe with six lug wheels manufactured by American Racing that will bolt on any of my '64-'66 C10/K10 trucks. The rotors and calipers for six lug disk brakes are readily available over the counter from any local parts supply house.

I scratch my head every time someone is told a disk brake conversion, also means changing from 6 lug to five lug, in order to find correct fitting wheels and disk brake parts. That notion is a myth. Each of my '64-'66 Chevy trucks have a different style of wheels from different manufacturers.

If you want disk brakes, you have many choices of wheel styles, sizes and manufacturers, as well as readily available brake parts, over the counter. Good luck with your conversion.

Tony

Joined: May 2004
Posts: 920
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 920
60 thru 62 trucks are completely different than 63 thru 66 and have clearance issues with the tie rod ends that are so close to the wheel. There are companies like CPP ( http://www.classicperform.com/6092chevtrk.htm )that sell 6 lug kits and most of them will tell you that it may not fit with the original wheels. You have some homework to do.


1962 Fleetside 4spd 235 w/O.D. posi 3:90
In the Stovebolt Gallery
1990 Subaru Legacy Wagon AWD 2.2 5sp
2013 Ram Tradesman C/V
My Webshot Photos]
#76105 04/12/2007 10:26 PM
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 230
T
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
T Offline
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 230
I guess I am convinced enough not to end up worrying about whether the 6 lug wheels will fit and just go ahead and get the 5 lug disk brakes up front, change the front wheels to 5 lug, leave the 6 lug rear wheels alone and keep the drum brakes on the back. Is there a fatal flaw with this plan, other than not being able to rotate the tires ?


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0