The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 191 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,089
Posts1,056,141
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 384
L
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
L Offline
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 384
I mounted new cables today for both bed and winch.

It worked fine. Then I got a bright ide, why not test to pull our Galaxie on to the bed.

So I got my daughter to film the big event.

Added ramps in the rear of the bed, and pulled the bed rise cable. It went up just fine. Started to winch the car up on the ramps.

All of a sudden I heard my wife screaming from inside of the car as ity was halfways on the ramps almost on the bed. THE BED WAS RISING UP and the ramps were going down.

My daghter filmed it all and I will NOT put it on YOUTUBE !!

So I have a question to you all, is it so that a "one way" pump can rise by putting pressure on the rear of the bed ?

I looked at the pump when I iattached the cable today.

It has 3 positions. One when the cable is max in. One in the middle, feeels like a ball and spring marks the middle position. And one when the cable is max out. Then the bed goes up.

Can someone say, is the middle position blocking the bed from raising ?

Or is the pump just bad ?

I'm stuck... and don't want to put big blocks under the bed while loading so that it will nott auto raise frown

It is a Marion hoist, with a tube from top to bottom, so I guess it goes up with the help of pressure, and falls down by gravity.

My wife said she will never help me loading a car again unless heavily drunk smile
she almost [censored] in her pants

/Ulf
/Ulf



My Chevy Viking 1959

Ulf Hedlund. Eskilstuna. Sweden
[email protected]
Also:
Ford Galaxie 4 dr 1959
Ford Custom 4 dr 1964
Ford Mustang GT 2005
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 384
L
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
L Offline
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 384
Add a couple of pics from previous owner when unloading a car.

This is when the car is on it's way down:

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/.../BpHouPwBWkKGrHqEH-C0EuYUGtQ46BLqBcd.jpg

I guess same thing happens when you unload and the car comes far back, the bed rises up...

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/.../BpHpC5wmkKGrHqQH-EYEuZRJbKhMBLqBdze.jpg

I guess I need to build something to prevent it from rising too far up, and to keep the bed and ramps in a straight line.



My Chevy Viking 1959

Ulf Hedlund. Eskilstuna. Sweden
[email protected]
Also:
Ford Galaxie 4 dr 1959
Ford Custom 4 dr 1964
Ford Mustang GT 2005
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,733
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,733
The middle or centered position should be the hold position for the hoist. Out is probably or at least is normally the raise or lift position and In is the lower or down position. Just how your winch is operated is not known. At full lift or extended position the oil is bypassed back to the bottom of the cylinder and simply recirculates.


1953 Chevy 5-window 3100
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Picturetrail

Dave
Engine & Driveline Moderator

If you can't make seventy by an easy road, don't go. ~~ Mark Twain
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 384
L
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
L Offline
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 384
So it normal that the bed rises up whn you put weight only in the rear end of the bed ???


My Chevy Viking 1959

Ulf Hedlund. Eskilstuna. Sweden
[email protected]
Also:
Ford Galaxie 4 dr 1959
Ford Custom 4 dr 1964
Ford Mustang GT 2005
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,733
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,733
Indicates a single acting hoist, i.e., power up only. Mechanical locks would be needed to keep the front down. Simple physics.


1953 Chevy 5-window 3100
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Picturetrail

Dave
Engine & Driveline Moderator

If you can't make seventy by an easy road, don't go. ~~ Mark Twain
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 384
L
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
L Offline
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 384
Okay, so I will just fix something like in the rear of this car:

http://www.carpages.co.uk/news/news-images/hummer-h3-rear-31-03-08.jpg

It needs to be possible to bolt off and on, if I want to do something else than transporting cars and use the bed raised to max.



My Chevy Viking 1959

Ulf Hedlund. Eskilstuna. Sweden
[email protected]
Also:
Ford Galaxie 4 dr 1959
Ford Custom 4 dr 1964
Ford Mustang GT 2005
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 6
J
New Guy
New Guy
J Offline
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 6
Why not add a safty chain between the front of the bed and the truck frame to limit how far the bed rises? If you wanted to go nuts you could add a second winch to take on this task.


Moderated by  69Cuda, Super55 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0