The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (Justhorsenround, Otto Skorzeny, Hotrod Lincoln), 107 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,142
Posts1,056,485
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#505954 02/14/2009 10:07 PM
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 54
J
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
J Offline
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 54
I recently acquired what I thought was a 235 engine to rebuild and put some performance mods on for my '51 3600 3/4 ton. I currently have a 235 in the truck. After researching the block casting number of 3789716 and the head casting number of 3836848 it appears that I have a 292 block and 235 head. Although the bore of the 235 head is 3 9/16 and the 292 block is 3 7/8, the piston only comes to the top of the block, so it looks like it would work. I guess the compression would be slightly higher, but I haven't done that math yet. Am I missing something else that should make me look for a 292 head?

Joe W. #505967 02/14/2009 10:53 PM
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 121
C
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
C Offline
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 121
I would like to see this.

Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,819
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Online: Content
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,819
Like Johnny Cash said in his song "One Piece At A Time", "When we went to put in the bolts, all the holes were gone". That combination is impossible, because the 292 uses a completely different block casting and bolt hole pattern than a 235. You've made an error on a casting number somewhere. Pull the valve cover and see if it's got independent rocker arm studs, or a shaft. If you've got shaft-mounted rockers, you've got a 216, a 235, or a 261, as those are the only engines a head with shaft-mounted rockers will fit.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 54
J
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
J Offline
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 54
The rockers are shaft mounted and it has a one piece side cover, so it is apparently not a 292. The block casting number of 3789716 is what threw me since Inliners and several other web sites say it is a 292 number. I also measured the stroke and it is appx. 4", not 3 1/2 as a 235 would have. I seem to remember a post that said you could put a 292 crank in a 235, but that doesn't explain the casting number, which I have checked repeatedly. Now I am really confused.

Joe W. #506004 02/15/2009 12:20 AM
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 72
B
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
B Offline
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 72
Not to argue, but I really do not believe a 292 crank will fit in a 235. The 292 has more main bearings than the older engine. I want to say six, the 235 only has four mains. Hotrod is right, must be an error there somewhere. Maybe you got a 261 block! It should have a longer stroke, although I do not know the spec. The head would fit a 261 even though it may not be the correct head for the task. Looking at number on Inliners page and there is a 235 casting #3769716. Maybe take another look at your casting number. Sometimes they are sorta messy when they are cast.

Last edited by BigSix302; 02/15/2009 12:24 AM.

52 GMC Suburban...52 Chevy 3/4 ton...49 CHevy 1/2 ton Rod...49 GMC 1/2 ton retro rod project
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,819
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Online: Content
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,819
It's possible to offset-grind a 235 crank to the same stroke as a 292, not put the 292 crank in the 235 block. 235's and 261's have the same stroke- - - - -the cubic inch difference is in the bore size.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 54
J
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
J Offline
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 54
I have re-checked the block casting number and it is definitely 3789716. I am aware that a 235 might be 3739716, but the raised casting number is very clear and not fuzzy at all and the third digit is definately an 8, not a 3. The stroke is right at 4" so maybe the Inliners information is wrong and the crank has been reground as you suggest. The bore is 3 9/16 which would support this.

Joe W. #506076 02/15/2009 3:57 AM
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
What is the number stamped on the machined pad next to the distributor? That might help decode what it was originally out of and what displcement it is.
BTW, the bore and sroke on the 235 is 3 9/16 x 3 15/16.

Last edited by LONGBOX55; 02/15/2009 3:59 AM. Reason: added specs

Bill Burmeister
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 725
R
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
R Offline
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 725
The 216/235/261 engines are all 4 main bearings. The 230/250/292 engines are all 7 main bearings, and all had 2 side covers. They also all had spin on oil filters on the passengers side.

I don't know how many block castings are made from each mold, but as I understand it, there are several molds used per work shift.

Could one batch have left the factory with the wrong number cast in? Just a thought.

best wishes,

Les

Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 54
J
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
J Offline
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 54
The number stamped on the plate behind the distributor is FO420B.

Joe W. #506199 02/15/2009 4:36 PM
Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 506
O
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
O Offline
Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 506
What is your crankshaft casting #

3701488 was the only one used in all full pressure 235's as well as the 261.

I think the only block casting # that ends with 9716 was the 60-62 truck 235, and had the 848 head.


-Tom

1950 Chevy 3100 w/ 1956 235
Oilrag #506205 02/15/2009 5:11 PM
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 67
S
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
S Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 67
What about a pic of the motor ? Thay may help everbody a little

Slickt #506250 02/15/2009 8:58 PM
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 54
J
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
J Offline
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 54
Thanks for all of the help from everyone. The people on this site are an awesome resource. I hope I learn enough to reciprocate someday.

It looks like from the 4 main bearings, distributor location, bore & stroke, single side cover, and separate oil filter that I have a 235 block.

I have to conclude that either the casting number shown on the Inliners and ChevyTalk websites that show 3789716 as a 63-72 292 engine is wrong, or as Roadmarks suggested, the factory messed up and used the wrong mold.

Joe W. #758882 07/01/2011 1:52 AM
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 16
S
New Guy
New Guy
S Offline
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 16

I have same situation as Joe W.; a block casting number of 3789716 and the head casting number of 3836848. Other numbers on the block are F1101J serial number and CON4 J27 casting date.

I'd like confirmation of the engine size and date of manufacture so I can order proper fuel pump, water pump, etc...

What other things can I check?

-- Scott


Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
Joe, your engine decodes as a '57-'62 Passenger 235 w/Powerglide.
Scott, yours is a '58 Truck 235 w/manual transmsission, cast on Oct. 2, 1957.


Bill Burmeister
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 16
S
New Guy
New Guy
S Offline
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 16

The third digit of the block casting number is difficult to read. It could be 376716, which would make more sense.

Joe W. #759034 07/01/2011 5:09 PM
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 36
N
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
N Offline
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 36
I ran into a funny problem like this I bought a 235 that was advertised as a 292, now I have 2, 235's sitting in the yard I found a 292 on the second try, I just needed to open my eyes and look at the bell housing and a number of other things to I.D. the motor prior to spending the $. I was to trusting but on the right track now.


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0