Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
7 members (CandoBrent, 1955 1 Series, MNSmith, Bill Hanlon, Otto Skorzeny, GrandpasJimmy, 1 invisible),
85
guests, and
2
robots. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,077 Posts1,056,280 Members48,441 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Aug 2009 Posts: 6 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Aug 2009 Posts: 6 | Does anyone know where I can get the inside trim boot for my hand brake leaver? Carter and the rest all have the ones for the foot brake on the little guys, but nothing for the big ones. Are they the same from an earler year pick up? Thanks, Justin
Last edited by Justin Crosby; 06/09/2011 11:29 PM.
| | | | | Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,878 . | | . Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,878 | Did they even have a boot? I'm thinking all the had was a big thick squarish foam rubber seal/gasket sort of thing that laid on top of the transmission before you put the cover back in the cab.
Curious to hear what the answer is.
Grigg | | | | | Joined: Dec 2002 Posts: 2,549 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2002 Posts: 2,549 | Grigg, I believe they (Big bolts) did have a park brake boot. I know for sure the COE's did. Been so long since I've owned a conventional AD truck, I can't remember for sure with them. | | | | | Joined: Aug 2009 Posts: 6 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Aug 2009 Posts: 6 | There was none in the truck when I got it byt all the floor covering was missing so I'm just guessing there was one. | | | | | Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,878 . | | . Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,878 | I haven't seen enough good clean original trucks to know for sure. The couple I have seen didn't have a parking brake lever boot, or never had one.
Grigg | | | | | Joined: Apr 2010 Posts: 474 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Apr 2010 Posts: 474 | My 53 has a foam cover , no boot . | | | | | Joined: Aug 2009 Posts: 6 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Aug 2009 Posts: 6 | Does the foam go under the floor or part way through the hole? | | | | | Joined: Nov 2005 Posts: 6,100 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Nov 2005 Posts: 6,100 | Hy guys, yes they definatly had a boot, a rectangular rubber one that sealed the slot beside the shift lever. | | | | | Joined: Sep 2006 Posts: 1,276 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2006 Posts: 1,276 | I have not been able to locate a suitable boot either but my two 64's have the same brake lever as my 56. I am looking at both Lokar's transmission mounted brake lever leather boot for street rods or possibly a rubber boot from some 4x4 transfer case shifter. I am leaning more to the rubber boot from a 4x4 I just want it to seal the hole and look as if it is stock. If someone happens to know something that works well and looks good please post it, it looks like quit a few are looking for the same thing. Maybe some one can post a picture of a stock one so we can find a close substitute
Last edited by HevyHauler; 06/13/2011 8:40 PM.
| | | | | Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 99 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 99 | I got both the seal that looks like a sideways squashed donut and the rubber boot from LMC truck for my '56 GMC . There is a metal piece that goes under the seal, also oval. Both of my originals were long gone 31 years ago. BTW, on the handle, does the release spring sit over the handle bolt or does the bolt go through the eye of the spring?
Well, my time went so quickly, I went lickety-splitly Out to my ol' 55. As I pulled away slowly, Feelin' so holy, God knows, I was feelin' alive..... Tom Waits, Ol' 55
| | | | | Joined: Sep 2006 Posts: 1,276 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2006 Posts: 1,276 | I got the foam seal from LMC but didn't see where they offer the boot I will have to look again. As far as the spring I don't know I have 5 handles between my drivers projects and parts trucks and they are all missing the springs. | | | | | Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,878 . | | . Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,878 | Spring is just stuck in the small hole drilled in the handle and tucked under the lever, the bolt does not capture it at all. | | | | | Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 99 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 99 | Thank you, that's what I thought might be the case with the spring- mine broke and flew off, and I got a replacement, but had little idea how the original was in.
As to the boot, I looked and while I got the floor seal from LMC, I got the brake boot from Brotherstrucks.com- part number hbb0059
Well, my time went so quickly, I went lickety-splitly Out to my ol' 55. As I pulled away slowly, Feelin' so holy, God knows, I was feelin' alive..... Tom Waits, Ol' 55
| | |
| |