The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (Shaffer's1950, Bill Marlow), 66 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,132
Posts1,056,386
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#754389 06/14/2011 1:37 AM
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 255
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 255
Do all 261 blocks use the "rope" seal on rear main? If not - what years used modern type seal?

Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 388
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 388
This question about the rear main seals has come before. The answer is not totally clear, at least to me. A rplacement 261 short block for a 1954 that I bought in 1958 came with a rope seal (that really leaked.) Another 1954 261 short block that was purchased in the early seventies came with an orange elastomeric seal.

Hoyt

Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
I can not clear up when Chev changed to a elastomeric seal but I know they did. I have a NOS GM elastomeric seal .


See the USA in your vintage Chevrolet!
My Blog
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,820
6
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
6 Offline
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,820
I believe ALL 216-235-261 engines came with rope seals.


"Truckin' Around .......... Since 1937!"
My name is Joe and I am addicted to Classic Country Music. I just can't hep myself.
Operators are standing by to take your calls!
Now cruising in the Passing Lane
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 1,094
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 1,094
My 59 261 has the modern rubber seal.


Tommy
59 apache 1/2t
261 short stepside
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 388
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 388
Here are some other references for further information and confusion:
Ecklers, 1949-54

Ecklers, 1955-62

Chevs of the 40s, rope and rubber

Bob Adler

Best Gasket, Rope and Rubber

I have some 261s that I will be rebuilding over the next few years. I'm not sure what I will do. I might try the conversion to the one-piece seal that was discussed a few months ago. https://www.stovebolt.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=687066#Post687066

Hoyt

Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,820
6
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
6 Offline
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,820
I believe any 216-235-261 that has a "rubber" seal, the seal has been changed. When I built my engine in 1990, I was told rubber would not work in a 261, but the builder put rubber in without telling me. The first thing after I got the engine in the truck, the seal started leaking. I replaced it with a rope seal and haven't had a problem since. That's not to say a "rubber" seal wouldn't work, but a rope seal, properly installed and in my opinion, works best.


"Truckin' Around .......... Since 1937!"
My name is Joe and I am addicted to Classic Country Music. I just can't hep myself.
Operators are standing by to take your calls!
Now cruising in the Passing Lane
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
I have had very good luck with the rubber/elastomeric seal.
There are two things you need to watch out for when using one.
First, if the seal surface of the crank has been turned down they will not work, use a rope.
Second, I have seen a number of blocks where the seal groove is not concentric with the bearing bore. In this case a rope seal is the only way.


See the USA in your vintage Chevrolet!
My Blog
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,847
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,847
I had my 216 machined for a full circle seal. It just seems like the right thing to do

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269

When I rebuilt my 1960 261 in 1972, the gasket kit from NAPA (Fel-Pro?) came with a rope seal and a rubber seal. I used the rubber seal. However, the 1960 Chevrolet Truck Shop Manual describes (with illustration/picture) the braided rope-style rear main bearing oil seal.


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0