The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (klhansen, 32Fordpuchoptop, FAST55, walter74), 95 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,120
Posts1,056,319
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#75363 03/24/2007 9:33 PM
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 125
J
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
J Offline
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 125
I just got everything off the rocker arm shaft, which was quite a job in itself, but now I need to clean the thing up. What would be best to clean out the rocker arm shaft. There is a ton of that crusty oily stuff in there and the ends are plugged. Any sugguestions on how to clean this and the rocker arms would be appreciated. This is the only thing holding up my engine rebuild. Thanks.

#75364 03/24/2007 9:36 PM
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 125
J
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
J Offline
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 125
I forgot to say, there is a picture of the disassembled parts on my webshots page and also a picture of my engine. Thanks for looking.

#75365 03/24/2007 10:01 PM
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
A
'Bolter
'Bolter
A Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
justin,

Those shafts can plug solid, and like you said, the stuff is nasty. The shaft ends that were to the center should be open, but the outboard ends are plugged. I don't remember what they are plugged with, maybe a small drive in soft plug affair.

The whole enchilada needs to be soaked in something like carburetor cleaner to soften and remove the crud. Removing the plug at the end of the shafts would be best, but not until you verify what is plugging them, and if a replacement is available. After removing the plug, you can 'rod' the bores with a coat hanger or something to help clear the gunk.

If you can find Toluene or Xylene in gallon cans at your local ACE hardware store, those items would be a winner to soak the stuff in.

Stuart

#75366 03/24/2007 10:30 PM
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
T
Ex Hall Monitor
Ex Hall Monitor
T Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
You can dig the gunk out of the inside using a long thin screwdriver. Soak in solvent until things soften up. If you can find one a small diameter bottle brush works well on the inside. 0000 steel wool will work well to clean the outside. Finish up with spray brake cleaner (doesn't leave residue behind), blow dry, lube up with assembly lube and put-er together.


Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion.
Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
#75367 03/24/2007 10:43 PM
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 125
J
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
J Offline
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 125
[img]http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2891609840100058208IByfHq[/img]
Here is an illustration of what I am talking about. In the image, the red would be the inside of the concave plug. I am not sure what they are made from or where to get new ones, so I am hesitant to destroy them by taking them out. Does anybody know about these plugs?

#75368 03/24/2007 10:44 PM
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 125
J
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
J Offline
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 125
http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2891609840100058208IByfHq
I guess the way I tried to do it before did not work. Above is the link to the illustration that I posted on webshots.

#75369 03/24/2007 10:48 PM
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
It is very easy to tap the plugs out with a long punch or rod.

You can reuse the same plugs. You can use loctite on them if you feel they do not fit back in tight enough.


See the USA in your vintage Chevrolet!
My Blog
#75370 03/24/2007 10:52 PM
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 125
J
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
J Offline
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 125
which way do you punch them out? It seems like the only way would be all the way through the shaft, unless you punched a hole in them and pried them out.

#75371 03/24/2007 11:11 PM
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 83
P
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
P Offline
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 83
pay special attention to the oiling holes on the shafts ( top or to bottom ), if you totally disassemble . also each rocker arm location . been there done it : )

#75372 03/24/2007 11:22 PM
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
Run a long rod down the shaft and remove them out the short way.


See the USA in your vintage Chevrolet!
My Blog
#75373 03/24/2007 11:41 PM
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 125
J
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
J Offline
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 125
There is one one each side of the rocker arm shaft, though. How would I get the first one out in order to open up the shaft to punch out the other one?

#75374 03/25/2007 1:10 AM
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
A
'Bolter
'Bolter
A Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
justin squire,

The rocker assembly splits into two halves at the center oiler. You will end up with the center oiler, front piece and back piece. The ends that went into the center oiler will be open, not plugged!

Stuart

#75375 03/25/2007 5:01 AM
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 125
J
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
J Offline
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 125
Is this just on the 216/235 chevy engine? Or does the GMC 228 engine have a split rocker arm shaft?

#75376 03/25/2007 5:50 AM
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
A
'Bolter
'Bolter
A Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
justin squire,

Good question. I keep forgetting your rig is a GMC 228. I honestly don't know for sure.


Stuart

#75377 03/25/2007 7:03 AM
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 565
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 565
I dont know about your 228 but my 270 has a single shaft.


"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just leave me alone, you're starting to freak me out."

1957 GMC 150
#75378 03/25/2007 10:43 PM
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 125
J
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
J Offline
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 125
I have made some great progress since my last post. First, I punched through one of the freeze plugs. I used a tapered punch so the hole would get bigger the farther in the punch went. I made a big enough hole for a threaded rod about 1/16 of an inch smaller than the ID of the shaft. I stuck it in the shaft and punched out the opposite plug, then removed it and punched out the other one. It was pretty simple. I then used a wire to poke out the oiler holes and also used that same threaded rod to push paper towels through the shaft. After about 5 or 6 runs, it is looking pretty clean.
Freeze plugs: http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2749225940100058208LBKTWu
Rocker shaft: http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2679261390100058208bzJXdu
Not a very good picture: http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2061608520100058208EJEhkQ
Method of cleaning: http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2316390950100058208KNriov

#75379 03/25/2007 10:53 PM
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 565
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 565
Great job on the photo documentation.
Lookin' good.


"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just leave me alone, you're starting to freak me out."

1957 GMC 150
#75380 03/25/2007 11:36 PM
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 920
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 920
I just took mine apart and discover the shafts were well worn. NAPA had a new set for $25. I'm soaking the rest of the parts in carb cleaner after brushing and wiping them semi-clean w/ paint thinner.


1962 Fleetside 4spd 235 w/O.D. posi 3:90
In the Stovebolt Gallery
1990 Subaru Legacy Wagon AWD 2.2 5sp
2013 Ram Tradesman C/V
My Webshot Photos]

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0