The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
9 members (klhansen, rfs56trk, Bill Hanlon, 1955 1 Series, DHedrick, Otto Skorzeny, 39Master85, greenie-reddy, Peggy M), 136 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,087
Posts1,056,399
Members48,442
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#750282 05/28/2011 4:41 PM
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 368
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 368
Members: After fighting with putting on headers and the orignal intake manifold...man you need 3 hands and the washers/holddowns needed to be modified,ground down to sit properly, plus fighting with the 3 piece gasket...I was fit to be tied. Then I go and try to torque the bolts down...There isn't any room for the socket ...only the outside bolts ( I changed out the guide pin with a bolt).....So I snugged it up real good. What else can I do..? And I find out I cant run my external oil filter on the manifold because it hits the headers...AGHHHHH. Bad night.


1954 Chevy 3100 5-Window
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Photobucket

"True victory is victory over one's self."
Krav Maga isn't pretty ... but it works just fine.


Jimmi V.
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
You need a set of crowsfoot adapters. If you find them, there is a box end style crowsfoot that works very well, and will not round off the bolts like a regular crowsfoot can.


Bill Burmeister
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 843
Y
yar Offline
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
Y Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 843
"Members: After fighting with putting on headers and the orignal intake manifold...man you need 3 hands and the washers/holddowns needed to be modified,ground down to sit properly,"

Jimmi, I saw that topic on this or another forum. As I recall stepped holddowns got the job done simply and easily. Those are easily fabricated from flat bar stock and a milling machine or even a hacksaw, grinder and/or file.


"plus fighting with the 3 piece gasket...I was fit to be tied".

Scotch tape or masking tape will hold the gaskets in place temporarily.


"Then I go and try to torque the bolts down...There isn't any room for the socket ...only the outside bolts ( I changed out the guide pin with a bolt).....So I snugged it up real good. What else can I do..?"

Reach in from above or below with a wrench. You know what the correct torque for a bolt of that size feels like. If you don't, put a bolt in your vise and twist it until it breaks. You'll never overtorque a bolt after doing that experiment.

"And I find out I cant run my external oil filter on the manifold because it hits the headers...AGHHHHH. Bad night."

A home made bracket will position it correctly.

Now we're having fun, right?


Ray

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0