The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (Gdads51, Bill Hanlon, JW51, Joe H, chemanic), 85 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,101
Posts1,056,339
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 27
5
'Bolter
'Bolter
5 Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 27
I have been disassembling a deluxe heater for restoration and cannot remove the set screw holding the sqirrel cage onto the motor shaft. the tangs on the set screw are broken off and there is not enough room to get a drill in to drill out the set screw. Any suggestions would be appreciated.


Mike

51 Suburban
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 295
L
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
L Offline
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 295
Can you use a 6" drill and go thru the fan / between the blades? Would try to get this in cobalt which will have better time with case harden on set screw.

Dan Bentler

Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,107
5
'Bolter
'Bolter
5 Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,107
if you dont need to replace the motor why take it off.

Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,557
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,557
I have used a extra long drill bit and drilled them out,then re-tapped the threads.I can't remember what size of drill bit.

Tim


1951 3100 Chevrolet
1951 Chevrolet Suburban Carryall
Image
"A house is built with boards and beams. A home is built with love and dreams."
"Look deep before you leap !!!" / "Everything is Everything"
"If I say a mouse can pull a house, hitch him up"
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 27
5
'Bolter
'Bolter
5 Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 27
I was able to get the set screw out, low tech method.

Soaked in Kroil for 2 days then made a jig with plywood and cut a slot for screwdriver with a fine tooth hacksaw. came right out. Now I need to locate a new 6 volt motor, mine is dead.


Mike

51 Suburban
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 239
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 239
Not trying to recommend one vendor over another, this is just a start. I think others also sell this same motor.

http://www.chevsofthe40s.com/detail/5952/Chevrolet_HEATER_DEFROSTER_MOTOR_6VOLT.html

Good Luck.



When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
-Unknown-
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 96
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 96
Hey guys,
Thanks for the info. I did the same thing to mine but was too embarrassed to ask for help. Now all is well. What about the correct paint for the heater casing? Be well, Richard


Richard J Patrick - 1946 Suburban
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,001
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,001
I am in the process of restoring a deluxe heater I purchased on Ebay. So far so good as I was able to remove the fan from the motor shaft and the heater core seems solid. Heck the motor even runs fine. I did open up the motor and replaced the brushes, cleaned it all out, lubed the bushings, cleaned the ammature (or is it commutator)? Anyway, my point is that instead of thinking a motor is dead, open it up and see if all it needs are new brushes and a good cleaning. Those motors are pretty robust and I doubt even running them at 12v would hurt them. I ran mine at 12v for testing purposes.

I plan on using Rustoleum dark bronze for the finish paint only because I am too lazy to get the "perfect" paint. Not trying to do a perfect restoration, just one that looks good. I am even contemplating painting the interior of the housing black...wont be seen and it seems a smoother (i.e. not hammered) paint would improve air flow (I know, not much, but hey). Now I need to go find new assembly screws with a blunt tip...will probably have to grind the tip of the many screws. Going to go SS if I can find them.

Last edited by DavidF; 05/25/2011 10:50 PM.
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 639
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 639
I got a motor at Napa that looks identical to the one you get at Chevs of the 40's, exact measurements and all, for under $30.00. Available in 6 or 12 volts.

Richard, try Hammerite Rust Cap Bronze, it's the closest match I've seen. Check out my photobucket pics.

David, I couldn't find screws that looked right, they were too long or the heads were too big, so I chucked them one at a time into my drill and worked each screw head against some 600 grit paper till they looked almost like chrome.


Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
Twoton, ya'll got a NAPA number for those motors????
Most of the time when I go into a NAPA store around here, I get a kid or girl or someone that doesn't speak english. If it isn't a standard part on a 2006 Toyota they just stare back at you with a blank look on their face.

A screw that comes very close to the original should be in stock at McMaster Carr.
DG


Denny G
Sandwich, IL
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 639
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 639
You bet! The part # is 655-1022. It is shorter than the one linked to in di1953gmc's post but I wanted one I could put inside the old motor housing. The mounting bolts are placed closer together than the original motor bolts. I removed the end caps from the new motor and drilled the holes out to match the original motor, I then assembled the new motor inside the old motor housing using the original bolts. It fit together so nice that as I tightened the nuts down to pull the old motor caseing together it clamped the new motor in place and snugged everything up tight. It works great.

Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
If that picture in Photobucket is of your new motor, it sure looks original. Thanks for the number, I've got several heaters here that I'm working on and think I'll stop buy NAPA this morning when I go out.
Denny Graham
Sandwich, IL


Denny G
Sandwich, IL
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,263
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,263
I believe that picture shows his original motor case.

The new motor is smaller and fits inside an original gutted motor.

His paint job came out nice. I used that paint and got several pot marks.

Good job




Moderated by  ndkid275, Phak1 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0