The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
6 members (Gdads51, cmayna, FAST55, tclederman, sron48, Hambone), 114 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,111
Posts1,056,258
Members48,437
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 21
K
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
K Offline
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 21
I inherited a 250 six in my '55-2 GMC and have added a Holley 390 and headers...I am using ported vac. for the stock dist. it seems to run better than manf. vac....What total advance should I shoot for ?
Bear


1955 2nd Series GMC
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix in Photobucket

Drive 'em and enjoy 'em.... don't haul 'em....
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,733
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,733
It depends on many things of course (cam, ignition system, etc.) but total advance will probably be in the 35 degree range, give or take a smidgeon. Does it have a HEI?


1953 Chevy 5-window 3100
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Picturetrail

Dave
Engine & Driveline Moderator

If you can't make seventy by an easy road, don't go. ~~ Mark Twain
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 21
K
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
K Offline
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 21
Nope...Just a standard dist. and don't know about the cam...stock probably...when I got it there was a 1 brl and stock intake and exhaust manf...,but it had about 5k on a rebuild...I am not sure what year the motor is...compression was 110 all across...I could get some casting ,stamp numbers and throw them out for id if needed...
Thanks,
Bear


1955 2nd Series GMC
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix in Photobucket

Drive 'em and enjoy 'em.... don't haul 'em....
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 5,219
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 5,219
A 250 is a 250 no matter what year, they were all the same with the same heads and compression.

Depending on your fuel supply in your area, 34 to 36 total timing is about right, if you have crappy gas, back it off a little. I could never get mine to ping since the compression is 8 to 1. so set it at 35 total. I could go higher, but it didn't run any better. It runs just fine where it is, couldn't tell you what it is at idle, don't really care, thats not where it matters.

Joe


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0