The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (Hanks custodian, TooMany2count, J Lucas, tclederman), 66 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,133
Posts1,056,398
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#743937 05/01/2011 9:46 PM
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 18
N
New Guy
New Guy
N Offline
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 18
There is no oil getting to the valve side of the rocker arm assembly on my 235. There is plenty of oil getting to the push rod side and coming out of the holes on the rocker arms. I set intakes to .008 and exhaust to .020. Any suggestions or ideas as to why this is happening?


Last edited by NSchonfe; 05/01/2011 9:48 PM.
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
Ex Hall Monitor
Ex Hall Monitor
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
You're pretty loose on your exhaust lash (should be .013) and a tad loose on your intake (sb .006). If you're getting oil out of the top of the rockers you're good to go. You'll get enough splash & oil vapor to keep everything kosher when the engine is up to speed and hot.


Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion.
Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 18
N
New Guy
New Guy
N Offline
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 18
Thanks, Tiny. I guess I was trying to play it safe with the exhaust and overshot it. I'll readjust and not worry about the oil on the valve side.

Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
Tiny is correct, very little oil gets to the valves.
1929-31 chevs only oiled the push rods, none to the valves.


See the USA in your vintage Chevrolet!
My Blog
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 18
N
New Guy
New Guy
N Offline
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 18
I reset the valves to .013 on the exhaust and .006 on the intake. It made a huge difference, but I can't seem to get the idle set. The manual calls for 550 rpm, but when I get near 650 and below, the engine acts like it wants to cut off (and most of the time does). I was hoping the valve job would take care of it. The idle mixture screw is about 1.5 turns out and the throttle screw is about three turns out. Should I advance the distributor? It's timed to the steel ball on the flywheel. Also, just out of curiosity, is idling at 650 rpm a bad thing (besides fuel economy)? It's a '51 235 fresh rebuild...

Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
The engine was designed to give it's best performance with the timeing set to the ball, unless you have modified the engine or know more than the engineers the designed the chevy inline six.
Adjust your idle mixture in and out till you hit the "sweet spot", the setting listed in the service and repair manuals is only a starting point.
That engine with a fresh valve job and tume-up should idle down to 450-550 rpm and be as smooth as silk.
DG


Denny G
Sandwich, IL
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 18
N
New Guy
New Guy
N Offline
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 18
Thanks, Denny. I'll mess around with it today and see if I can't find that sweet spot. Should I try any adjustments on the throttle screw or play with them both or get the rpms down close with one screw and the take over and do the fine tuning with the other? As far as engine mods go, it has and HEI in it and the cylinders were bored 30 over (I don't know if that counts as a modification though).


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0