The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
9 members (Bill Hanlon, Vice-Grip, klhansen, Otto Skorzeny, HandyAndy, KEVINSKI, 37 GC, Gazz, Hugh63c10), 114 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,114
Posts1,056,610
Members48,450
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#743796 05/01/2011 3:44 AM
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 23
1
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
1 Offline
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 23
Wondered if anyone has done this before? It has a newer Chevy 350 with a turbo 400 attached in it now, so......anyone swim in this pool, before I jump in like a fool? Good part is I have a full metal shop so fab in not a problem. Measurements seem good to fit.
Thanks for your input Jeff

Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 23
1
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
1 Offline
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 23
Forgot to mention that the 4bt has a T-18 (T-19?) attached to it that I was thinking of using, my axles are 3.54. Posi in the rear and a 76 Blazer up front I had rebuilt and geared to match the back so I could have disc brakes up front. Added P/S because i'm lazy in my old age. Jeff

Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
W
Riding in the Passing Lane
Riding in the Passing Lane
W Offline
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
It is a pretty easy swap. We ran them in Chevy step vans.
They are noisey, smokey, slugish, & vibrate a lot. It kind of depends on what you want to do with it.


They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing.
1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne Super
In the Gallery Forum
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 23
1
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
1 Offline
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 23
I have a 1971 Airstream that I was going to tow and thought the mileage would be better than my 350, plus I got the entire stepvan for pretty cheap with a good motor and trany. Sluggish and vibrating would be a issue.
Other than that it would be around town and in the hills.
Thanks! jeff

Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 46
S
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
S Offline
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 46
A 6 bt would be A much better choice and it would be a much more powserfull combo

Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
G
.
.
G Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
For a 1/2 ton the 4bt sounds like a great choice to me.
lots and lots of info and folks happy with their 4bt conversions over at www.4btswaps.com
stop by and have a look.

A 6bt is a fair amount of weight and not quite as simple of a swap in a small truck.

Grigg


•1951 GMC 250 in the Project Journals
•1948 Chevrolet 6400 - Detroit Diesel 4-53T - Roadranger 10 speed overdrive - 4 wheel disc brakes
•1952 Chevrolet 3800 pickup
---All pictures---
"First, get a clear notion of what you desire to accomplish, and then in all probability you will succeed in doing it..." -Henry Maudslay-
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 23
1
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
1 Offline
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 23
Thanks Grigg, I found the 4btswaps on one of your threads earlier and spent a hour looking through it. Enjoyed your pics!
I got entire step van for about 800 bucks from a friend, the whole thing is in good condition with a recent T-18 rebuild. I do not know much of anything on that trany. It all drives good though.
Just looking for something to cruise with as I am in not much of a hurry when traveling.
Will not alter the outside of the truck in any manner as they are too good looking in my opinion. Thanks for your insight!
Jeff

Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 667
T
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
T Offline
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 667
Howdy & Welcome. I'm about to start on a 4BTA conversion myself. The info at 4BTSwaps is excellent and you'll find that engine not only reliable and fuel efficient, but capable of making more hp than most can imagine. I'm going for moderate hp and max torque myself and hope to pair it with either an Allison 5-speed or the new Furd TorqShift 6-speed.


1946 1.5-Ton Chevy Shorty Bus
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Tango's 1946 Chevy "Skoolie" Project
All my best --- Tango
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 667
T
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
T Offline
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 667
BTW --- just bought a running 4BTAA with an Allison 545 bolted up. Next stop...the dyno at Diesel Specialists. Fingers are crossed.


1946 1.5-Ton Chevy Shorty Bus
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Tango's 1946 Chevy "Skoolie" Project
All my best --- Tango

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0