The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (WICruiser, 2 invisible), 142 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,109
Posts1,056,269
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 172
S
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
S Offline
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 172
I followed a link from somewhere here and ended up learning more about gasket sealers. The Hylomar looked rather impressive.

The problem is that the price also looks impressive...
http://www.hylomar-usa.com/_resources/_html/order.html

Has anyone here used this? Would you recommend something else?

I am thinking of this stuff for the rear axle cover right away...and other covers if/when I pull those.


1965 Chevy C-30 1-Ton
"Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like nobody's watching."
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,820
6
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
6 Offline
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,820
sablesurfer -
I have mentioned this stuff on this site before and it is the best thing I have found. I would recommend this stuff and it is available over the counter at any GM Dealership. It has worked when ALL of the others didn't. It is:
GM Gasket Sealing Compund 1#1050026 Gr.8.800.
It never hardens or dries out. Temperature range from -50F to 400F. I first used it on the rear end housing of my truck and have since used it on all other components of the truck. I think you will be happy with it!

Joe smile


"Truckin' Around .......... Since 1937!"
My name is Joe and I am addicted to Classic Country Music. I just can't hep myself.
Operators are standing by to take your calls!
Now cruising in the Passing Lane
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
A
'Bolter
'Bolter
A Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
sablesurfer,

As long as you asked...no goop! If the surfaces are clean, dry and flat then the seal is 99.9% mechanical. I use HIGH TACK aerosol. It's a contact adhesive which holds the gasket where it belongs and adds the .1% goop factor to seal things like cork gaskets.

If you application calls for a gasket then it probably doesn't call for a glob-o-goop too!

Dirty mating surfaces with 'pooched' bolt holes and overtightened fasteners are the cause of leaks most of the time.

A dab of goop here or there is OK, but not hanging out of every crack like hemorrhoids. eek

Stuart

Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 2,384
6
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
6 Offline
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 2,384
Quote
Originally posted by atomarc:
sablesurfer,

A dab of goop here or there is OK, but not hanging out of every crack like hemorrhoids. eek

Stuart
The thing about 'roids made me laugh. I have replaced a number of engines seized up/knccking due to globs of silicone(from a previous repair) clogging the oil pump pickup. Never understood the "some is good, more must be better" fellas.


My \'64\'s in the Gallery
Pictures in my Photobucket
1964 C10 Custom Cab 350/700R4
1964 Suburban 350/700R4
1979 Ford F350 4x4 400/c6
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 395
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 395
You don't have to spend that amount on a sealer,,ask your parts counter gent and use your head on where and how much..doc

Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 172
S
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
S Offline
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 172
LOL....ok....just a little dab'll do ya'....I'll remember that...no hemorroids on my truck.

grin

(But I will admit, in case anyone looks closely, I used sealant on my exahust side to seal up what is technically a warped exhaust manifold...but only a bit.)


1965 Chevy C-30 1-Ton
"Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like nobody's watching."
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
I use motor oil on most gaskets.


"It's just a phase. He'll grow out of it." Mama, 1964

1956 Chevy 1/2-ton 3100
1953 Chevy 6100 "The Yard dog"
1954 GMC Suburban Now with a new proud owner.
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 5,076
Authorized Pest
Authorized Pest
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 5,076
Dave,

Don't have your answer but I have a surprise for you: There's your truck and story!

Peggy


~ Peggy M
1949 Chevrolet 3804
"Charlie" - The Stovebolt Flagship
In the Gallery
"We make a living by what we get; we make a life by what we give." -- Winston Churchill
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 172
S
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
S Offline
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 172
Woo Hoo....

Now people won't think I have an imaginary truck...

grin


1965 Chevy C-30 1-Ton
"Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like nobody's watching."
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 5,076
Authorized Pest
Authorized Pest
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 5,076
As much as you are in here, I figured it would help!

smile
Peg


~ Peggy M
1949 Chevrolet 3804
"Charlie" - The Stovebolt Flagship
In the Gallery
"We make a living by what we get; we make a life by what we give." -- Winston Churchill
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 720
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 720
I use good old Aviation Form-a-gasket. Used sparingly, a thin coat works great and seals gaskets & metal-to-metal surfaces. Cheap effective & easy to find.
Used it for years with no issues, but still comes down to proper surface preperation of course.


1956 GMC 370 dump " 'Tater "
1970 VW Volksrod "the Black Bomber"
2007 Chevy Avalanche
2020 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk,
2005 Harley Davidson FLHTCUI

I dig all cars, old and new, whether they were hammered out of American iron, German steel, or Japanese tin cans. Being unable to appreciate them all is missing out on a world of great things.
But thats just MY opinion!
:P

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0