The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 162 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,089
Posts1,056,441
Members48,443
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#738796 04/13/2011 6:33 AM
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 3
W
New Guy
New Guy
W Offline
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 3
Hello, I just bought a GMC short bed with a 305 V6. I am interested in putting in a V8 down the line. Any suggestions as to which engine will best fit in this truck? This is my first project, I grew up working on trucks with my dad, decided it was time for me to get one for me.

Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 800
K
k10 Offline
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
K Offline
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 800
I put a 409 in mine. The tops of the frame rails needed to be trimmed just a bit. I put a Turbo 400 behind it and used Sanderson headers. I did not put in power steering and did not change anything else on the truck. Eventually a 12 bolt posi should go in.
A big block should be fine. A small block will be fine as well. A lot of the dismantlers have the 5.3L LS motors from the new trucks for very cheap money. The redone wiring harness and computer actually costs more than the engine. In my neck of the woods, I can get a 100k mile 5.3 with reworked engine harness, with the 700R4 behind it for around 1400 bucks. With 300 HP of fuel injected goodness, you're not going to get a better bang for the buck than that. And 22 MPG to boot and it'll fire up on the first key turn. I haven't done one yet, but that will be the direction for the next one for sure. Good luck.

k10 #738911 04/13/2011 8:56 PM
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 564
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 564
wbreeze: a small block Chevy is going to be the easiest swap. Cheapest, too.
An LS is a great way to go, too, but if this is your first project, you need to adhere to the K.I.S.S. principle: Keep It Simple, Stupid.

K10: how'd you hang the TH400 in your truck? Did you make your own cross member? (I haven't seen an available aftermarket trans cross member for the '60-'62 trucks)

-Brad


SOUTHERN FALL GABfest
October 6 ~ Commerce, Georgia
Details here!


Never Pee on an Electric Fence.
Brad54 #738976 04/14/2011 1:06 AM
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 337
M
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
M Offline
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 337
Here's a link showing how I installed a 350 in my 1960 GMC which is pretty straight forward:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=369663



1960 GMC 1/2-Ton Pickup Truck
In the Gallery
Updates in the DITY Gallery
Now cruising in the Passing Lane
Markeb #739933 04/17/2011 6:11 AM
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 3
W
New Guy
New Guy
W Offline
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 3
Thanks for all of the suggestions. I know they will be helpful in the near future.

Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 438
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 438
hey, wbreeze,
wish you lived closer to Utah. I'd offer to buy your 305 if it was still decent. Had one in a 80's truck, and was really fond of it. :-) Fun little motor with good zip. Good luck!

Last edited by Husker; 05/02/2011 8:28 AM.
Husker #752927 06/08/2011 3:17 AM
Joined: May 2011
Posts: 5
J
New Guy
New Guy
J Offline
Joined: May 2011
Posts: 5
I agree with husker the 305 v-6 is an awesome work truck motor.. 63 gmc 3/4t 305 v-6 log truck lotta torque

Jeremiah #753112 06/08/2011 8:20 PM
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 800
K
k10 Offline
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
K Offline
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 800
And about 10 MPG. It's a heavy sucker too. The v-6 is 100 lbs heavier than the 409 I put in mine.
Brad, I missed this before, Sorry. We welded a couple of tabs and bracing onto the front of the stock x-member, and kept it in the stock location. Downside is that the trans and engine would need to come out together, because of the "enclosure" at the rear of the trans. But other than that, it worked out slick. I went with a stock 3 on the tree column shiftand welded up the linkage and turned it into a column shift auto. I got a lokar column cable shifter kit and that was it.


Moderated by  Hambone, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0