The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
7 members (CandoBrent, 1955 1 Series, MNSmith, Bill Hanlon, Otto Skorzeny, GrandpasJimmy, 1 invisible), 85 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,077
Posts1,056,280
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 68
5
New Guy
New Guy
5 Offline
Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 68
My 1950 3600 has a 14 bolt FF rear on it. I need to rebuild the brakes on it, but I've ran into a snag. I pulled the axle, removed the 2 locking rings with a 6 prong hub socket, adjusted the brakes (star wheel) as loose as it goes, E-brake is off, yet no amount of pulling, yanking, or prying will remove the drum. It won't come off. I thought it would slide right off after removing the locking rings and the thin metal tab ring between them. And yes, the wheel spins freely. It just won't come off. Any insight would be most appreciated!

Joined: Feb 2003
Posts: 452
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2003
Posts: 452
I'm guessing here...
IIRC, when I did the seal on my Eaton rear, I had to remove the outer bearing and found another lock ring for the inner bearing? It's been a while...


Current fleet (subject to change w/o notice)
\'49 GMC 3/4-Ton , 60 Austin Healey Frog-eye Sprite (some assembly required), 2011 Dodge Avenger, 2015 Jeep Cherokee. No, they don't all run.
My other ride is a (B737)no, (B767)no, A320.... Update... was Embraer E190, now Boeing B787.

Knowledge is a wonderful thing, but ignorance means you don't know you can't do something.
Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 68
5
New Guy
New Guy
5 Offline
Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 68
Thanks Highflyer. I removed a lock ring, then the tab ring, then another lock ring, so far. Is there another lock ring (3rd)?


Originally Posted by Highflyer
I'm guessing here...
IIRC, when I did the seal on my Eaton rear, I had to remove the outer bearing and found another lock ring for the inner bearing? It's been a while...

Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,756
G
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
G Offline
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,756
Only thing I can think of sometimes the brake shoes have worn so far into the drum that they hang up Perseverance and a large hammer will usually solve the problem/

Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
W
Riding in the Passing Lane
Riding in the Passing Lane
W Offline
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
The ring Hyflyer is refering to is removed after you get the hub off & the seal & outer brg. You only need to remove it if you want to replace the outer brg.
There might be a thrust washer behind the last spindle nut with a tang on it that fits in the groove. It could be hung up. If not & the shoes are not dragging then the inner bearing must be stuck to the shaft. If thats the case prying it enough to pull the seal out.


They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing.
1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne Super
In the Gallery Forum
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,756
G
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
G Offline
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,756
Are you trying to remove the drum or axle?

Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 68
5
New Guy
New Guy
5 Offline
Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 68
Trying to remove the drum so I can rebuild the brakes and replace the wheel cylinder.
I tried last night to wedge a pry bar between the drum and backing plate, but it won't come off. I didn't pry hard because I don't want to damage the backing plate or anything else, but maybe I need to put some force into it? It just feels like somethings holding it on or is hung up.


Originally Posted by gazim
Are you trying to remove the drum or axle?

Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,821
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,821
If the hub/drum assembly is just tight on the load tube, try bolting a length of tow chain to one of the lugs, back off several feet, and snap the chain like a whip. I've pulled axles and hubs that way when I didn't have a slide hammer for the past 40 years or so.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,756
G
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
G Offline
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,756
I found that the centering casting on the axle will rust enough that it will hold the drum on. try cleaning that and using wd40. I am unfamiliar with your model maybe this doesn't apply


Moderated by  Fibonachu, KCMongo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0