The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (CandoBrent, 1 invisible), 108 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,079
Posts1,056,286
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#735769 04/03/2011 3:57 AM
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 291
G
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
G Offline
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 291
Hey folks. Just want to know what you all think is the better carb to run. I got a b and have never ran a yf.

thanks


1959 Chevy Apache 3100/ 283 TBI / 4L60E

My YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/mikebtte
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 201
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 201
I have a carter on my 54 chevy 235, i tried using the rochester but i couldnt get it to work right, however, my carter works great!


1955.1 Chevy 3600 NAPCO Truck
In the Gallery
1957 Chevy 6400 US FOREST SERVICE
Here's a long list of all my STUFF!
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,644
P
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
P Offline
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,644
beast54 what carter are you running?

Pete

Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,418
ODSS Lawman
ODSS Lawman
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,418
I have had both on my dual carb setup. I prefer the YF's, no leaky mess and it was a direct plug in. I didnt have to make any mods for them to fit.


SWEET
Sergeant At Arms: Old Dominion Stovebolt Society
BUNS?!?!?!Where we're going, we don't need no buns.....
1950 GMC 450
1951 Chevy 1/2-Ton
The GreenMachine
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Joined: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,028
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,028
I also have a carter YF...It is essentially a piece of junk (broken and stripped screws etc) but I tried a rebuilt Rochester and it did not run well at all. I sent it back and put the YF back on.

I bought another YF and plan to rebuild it and replace my current carter YF.

Rich


1953 3/4-Ton Chevy

In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix

If it can be built ... It can be fixed.

RB53
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
The Carter is better, most Rochester Bs I've ever delat with were either warped or cracked, and sometimes both. Having said that, I actually prefer Holleys over Carter or Rochester.


Bill Burmeister
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,644
P
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
P Offline
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,644
What carters #s are you guys running?


Pete

Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,263
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,263
Im running a Carter YF787s on my 235

Its on a 216 manifold.
The truck runs real good with it.

If I ever put a 235 manifold I'll try a 2100s.

Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,644
P
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
P Offline
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,644
Thanks,DADS50


Pete

Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,602
V
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
V Offline
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,602
My B leaks but it works... I'd try the Carter.


Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 291
G
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
G Offline
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 291
Cool. I have a rochester right now and rebuilt it about a year ago. Worked great but has always taken a little adjusting with weather, so I guess it worked ok not great. It is now getting hot again and it is starting to leak and cut out when driving. Idles great. I am gonna grab me a Carter YF this week and compare the 2 and see witch is better.

This is what it looked like after a little cleaning on the first rebuild.

http://memimage.cardomain.com/ride_images/3/3457/1021/33640510059_large.jpg

http://memimage.cardomain.com/ride_images/3/3457/1021/33640510057_large.jpg

Was bad. Sat for 12 years with fuel in it. So Im sure I could have cleaned it better. Was just dieing to hear it run.


1959 Chevy Apache 3100/ 283 TBI / 4L60E

My YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/mikebtte
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 201
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 201
I will have to look at my carter to see exactly what it is. I want to say i have a YF.

Last edited by beast54; 04/05/2011 4:30 PM.

1955.1 Chevy 3600 NAPCO Truck
In the Gallery
1957 Chevy 6400 US FOREST SERVICE
Here's a long list of all my STUFF!
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 291
G
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
G Offline
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 291
ok, Got a yf yesterday and a new rebiuld kit for my Rochester. Im gonna Run them both and see the diff. I may try and get a video as well.


1959 Chevy Apache 3100/ 283 TBI / 4L60E

My YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/mikebtte
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,263
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,263
GrandpasTruck

Just wondering
What model # Carter yf Did you get?
Should be stamped on there somewhere.


Thank you

Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 291
G
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
G Offline
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 291
Ill look when I go pic it up, Just knw its a YF. Think I should have saved the extra money, Did not think the Navy was gonna cut my pay this month.


1959 Chevy Apache 3100/ 283 TBI / 4L60E

My YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/mikebtte
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 291
G
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
G Offline
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 291
Here are the photos of my Carter YF carb. Not sure what kind it is but Ill see if it works. It has no ID number on it. Think may be a 877SA

http://talk.classicparts.com/picture.php?albumid=180&pictureid=1539

http://talk.classicparts.com/picture.php?albumid=180&pictureid=1540


1959 Chevy Apache 3100/ 283 TBI / 4L60E

My YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/mikebtte
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,644
P
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
P Offline
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,644
An 877s cater YF is for a 50s Nash ,I hope it works for you.

You gotto check if it has port distributor vac. or manifold distributor vac.

Where the fitting is to hook up the distributor look in there and see if the hole is above or at the throttle plate if it is it's port vac. thats what you need ,no vac. at idle. If it's below the throttle plate it's manifold vac. and you'll get full vac. advance at idle and the engine will not run right at idle.


just went thru this with a carter YF4480s carb ,you have to check and see what year the YF is for ,Carb King just did a list on what year carters were made for do a search and you'll find the list. My problem came up when I installed the carb ,after rebuilding it, to find that the distributor vac. was below the throttle plate making it manifold vac.where the 216-235 family of engines needs port vac. no vac.no advance at idle, the 4480s was made for the 194-230-250 family of engines which uses a different distributor that uses manifold vac.its full vac. advance at idle. after installing the 4480s the engine would not idle right so when I checked the timming it was at 20+ degrees at idle the 4480s was made for a different application.

If you look at the distributor advance,vac., hole thats in a Mod.B or carter W1 you will see that its at or just above the throttle plate so there is no vac. at idle ,port vac, thats why the shop manual does not say to disconnect the vac line when you time a 216-235 engine.Then when you get a newer engine 194-230-250 you will see the book tells you to disconnect it so there is no vac. at the distributor when you time.Then when you reconnect it after you time it the advance kicks in.

So check the Vac. distributor hole in relation to the throttle plate above or at is port, below is manifold.You need port vac.

There are YFs that were made for the 216-235 family of engines.




Pete

Last edited by Pete52; 04/12/2011 2:46 AM.
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 291
G
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
G Offline
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 291
Ill have to look. Could you not just switch it to manifold vac. like they do on the 258 I6 in jeeps. And the old 350's.


1959 Chevy Apache 3100/ 283 TBI / 4L60E

My YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/mikebtte
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,644
P
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
P Offline
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,644
The distributor is different and it's set up to use port vac. none at idle.

Pete

Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 291
G
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
G Offline
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 291
Ok looked at it. It is manifold Vacuum. So Ill ether change the distributer to run on manifold vac or change carbs. Ill mess around with the distributer for a while and see what I can do. See if I can run a new distributer that might be manifold vac.

Thanks for your help Pete52.


1959 Chevy Apache 3100/ 283 TBI / 4L60E

My YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/mikebtte
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,263
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,263

Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 291
G
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
G Offline
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 291
Ok thanks guys. That is a super helpful link. Ill see if I can make it run on Manifild Vacuum. If not guess Ill jump on and get a diffrent carb. smile

Here is were my vacuum port is on my carb. Im sure its manifold vac.

http://talk.classicparts.com/picture.php?albumid=180&pictureid=1542

Thanks All


1959 Chevy Apache 3100/ 283 TBI / 4L60E

My YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/mikebtte
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,644
P
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
P Offline
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,644
It's manifold vacuum ,I looked at it to with my 4480s carter and I'm going to find a 2100s one of these days at a swap meet I hope.


Pete

Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 181
1
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
1 Offline
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 181
If anyone is looking I'll soon have a near new 216 intake and exhaust manifold with a Carter on it. This is off a new old stock engine I found in a crate in Alsaka. I'm upgrading it now with the intake, exhaust and doing a full oil pressure conversion too. Let me know if you might be interested. I like to trade or.... ?
Normbc9

Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 291
G
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
G Offline
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 291
well you got me. What you want for the carb. I dont got much. I have my old vacuum wiper set up and a extra vacuum fuel pump but that is it I put the rest to work.


1959 Chevy Apache 3100/ 283 TBI / 4L60E

My YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/mikebtte

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0