Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
9 members (Charles in CA, dt235sd, jmoore, Jay R, Southerntruck, Flatblu4748, tclederman, 5cameo8, 1 invisible),
72
guests, and
3
robots. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,128 Posts1,056,683 Members48,452 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: May 2007 Posts: 1,718 Moderator: 60-66 Trucks; North Eastern Bolters | | Moderator: 60-66 Trucks; North Eastern Bolters Joined: May 2007 Posts: 1,718 | Trying to take off the pad that was glued to the back of the cab wall (behind the fuel tank). Looks like a heavy tar paper that was attached with what looks like black roof cement. Not fun taking it off. Anyone have any ideas how to get the glue off? Also, I do not see any mention of this material in any of the literature. Was this pad original and what might I replace it with? | | | | | Joined: May 2009 Posts: 47 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: May 2009 Posts: 47 | try laquer thinners to remove the glue.I replaced the pads on my truck , I think it was eather from Brothers or LMC | | | | | Joined: May 2007 Posts: 1,718 Moderator: 60-66 Trucks; North Eastern Bolters | | Moderator: 60-66 Trucks; North Eastern Bolters Joined: May 2007 Posts: 1,718 | Is the pad a sound dampener. I see LMC has a 4 piece sound kit. No good pictures so I can not tell if this is the stuff. I will look into brothers. HB | | | | | Joined: Nov 2004 Posts: 1,552 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Nov 2004 Posts: 1,552 | There was not a pad or sound deadener on the back wall of the cab behind the tank. The kit being sold is for the two tank saddles & the two tank straps.
If you are stripping the cab, you can heat the back side of the cab wall with a propane or MAP gas torch, being careful not to overheat the metal. By heating the backside, the mat & adhesive is softened and will come off, easily with a flat-blade scraper. By heating the backside of the panel, you avoid catching the material on fire.
This method works great for removing liberal amounts of factory under-coating. Again, I apply the heat to the backside of the panel, to avoid direct contact of the flame to the material being removed.
When restoring a '60-'66 Chevy/GMC truck, I apply the sound deadener up the back of the cab, to the bump-out, behind the tank, for increase insulation & sound deadening. | | | | | Joined: May 2007 Posts: 1,718 Moderator: 60-66 Trucks; North Eastern Bolters | | Moderator: 60-66 Trucks; North Eastern Bolters Joined: May 2007 Posts: 1,718 | Thanks Tony. Got a bead on a heat blower today so I will try the heat and scrape method you suggest.\ Which insulation/sound deadener product do you recommend for that spot (behind fuel tank)? | | | | | Joined: Nov 2004 Posts: 1,552 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Nov 2004 Posts: 1,552 | I use Peel-N-Seal from Lowe's or The Home Depot. It is in the roofing section. It has shiny aluminum on one side and asphalt impregnated on the ohter. I have used it on several of my personal projects, as well as, several projects for customers. I cover all of the joints with foil tape, found in the heating & cooling section. | | | | | Joined: May 2007 Posts: 1,718 Moderator: 60-66 Trucks; North Eastern Bolters | | Moderator: 60-66 Trucks; North Eastern Bolters Joined: May 2007 Posts: 1,718 | Shiny side out? Do you or could you paint the foil? | | | | | Joined: Nov 2004 Posts: 1,552 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Nov 2004 Posts: 1,552 | The sticky side is the black side, so the aluminum side is the outside. I assume it can be painted, as long as, it is properly prep'd. | | | | | Joined: May 2007 Posts: 1,718 Moderator: 60-66 Trucks; North Eastern Bolters | | Moderator: 60-66 Trucks; North Eastern Bolters Joined: May 2007 Posts: 1,718 | As I thought. Just making sure I had the right picture in my head. Thanks for assist. | | | | | Joined: Nov 2004 Posts: 1,552 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Nov 2004 Posts: 1,552 |
Last edited by 4-5-6 Chevy Trucks; 03/30/2011 3:23 AM.
| | | | | Joined: Jun 2005 Posts: 1,756 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jun 2005 Posts: 1,756 | lmost anything will work. If you are keeping the tank in its original position. I moved mine and used a carpet pad from Menards that had a fiber weave on one side. I painted that witn a rattle can. | | |
| |