The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (Donf, Gray_Ghost, rfs56trk), 149 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,129
Posts1,056,693
Members48,452
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#733788 03/28/2011 12:53 AM
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 1,718
H
Moderator: 60-66 Trucks; North Eastern Bolters
Moderator: 60-66 Trucks; North Eastern Bolters
H Offline
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 1,718
Trying to take off the pad that was glued to the back of the cab wall (behind the fuel tank). Looks like a heavy tar paper that was attached with what looks like black roof cement. Not fun taking it off. Anyone have any ideas how to get the glue off? Also, I do not see any mention of this material in any of the literature. Was this pad original and what might I replace it with?


~ HB
1966 Chevrolet K-10 | Ghost: formerly Flappy Fenders | In the Stovebolt Gallery
1962 Chevrolet C10
1962 Suburban
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 47
H
New Guy
New Guy
H Offline
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 47
try laquer thinners to remove the glue.I replaced the pads on my truck , I think it was eather from Brothers or LMC

Joined: May 2007
Posts: 1,718
H
Moderator: 60-66 Trucks; North Eastern Bolters
Moderator: 60-66 Trucks; North Eastern Bolters
H Offline
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 1,718
Is the pad a sound dampener. I see LMC has a 4 piece sound kit. No good pictures so I can not tell if this is the stuff. I will look into brothers.
HB


~ HB
1966 Chevrolet K-10 | Ghost: formerly Flappy Fenders | In the Stovebolt Gallery
1962 Chevrolet C10
1962 Suburban
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 1,552
4
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
4 Offline
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 1,552
There was not a pad or sound deadener on the back wall of the cab behind the tank. The kit being sold is for the two tank saddles & the two tank straps.

If you are stripping the cab, you can heat the back side of the cab wall with a propane or MAP gas torch, being careful not to overheat the metal. By heating the backside, the mat & adhesive is softened and will come off, easily with a flat-blade scraper. By heating the backside of the panel, you avoid catching the material on fire.

This method works great for removing liberal amounts of factory under-coating. Again, I apply the heat to the backside of the panel, to avoid direct contact of the flame to the material being removed.

When restoring a '60-'66 Chevy/GMC truck, I apply the sound deadener up the back of the cab, to the bump-out, behind the tank, for increase insulation & sound deadening.

Joined: May 2007
Posts: 1,718
H
Moderator: 60-66 Trucks; North Eastern Bolters
Moderator: 60-66 Trucks; North Eastern Bolters
H Offline
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 1,718
Thanks Tony. Got a bead on a heat blower today so I will try the heat and scrape method you suggest.\
Which insulation/sound deadener product do you recommend for that spot (behind fuel tank)?


~ HB
1966 Chevrolet K-10 | Ghost: formerly Flappy Fenders | In the Stovebolt Gallery
1962 Chevrolet C10
1962 Suburban
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 1,552
4
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
4 Offline
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 1,552
I use Peel-N-Seal from Lowe's or The Home Depot. It is in the roofing section. It has shiny aluminum on one side and asphalt impregnated on the ohter. I have used it on several of my personal projects, as well as, several projects for customers. I cover all of the joints with foil tape, found in the heating & cooling section.

Joined: May 2007
Posts: 1,718
H
Moderator: 60-66 Trucks; North Eastern Bolters
Moderator: 60-66 Trucks; North Eastern Bolters
H Offline
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 1,718
Shiny side out? Do you or could you paint the foil?


~ HB
1966 Chevrolet K-10 | Ghost: formerly Flappy Fenders | In the Stovebolt Gallery
1962 Chevrolet C10
1962 Suburban
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 1,552
4
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
4 Offline
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 1,552
The sticky side is the black side, so the aluminum side is the outside. I assume it can be painted, as long as, it is properly prep'd.

Joined: May 2007
Posts: 1,718
H
Moderator: 60-66 Trucks; North Eastern Bolters
Moderator: 60-66 Trucks; North Eastern Bolters
H Offline
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 1,718
As I thought. Just making sure I had the right picture in my head. Thanks for assist.


~ HB
1966 Chevrolet K-10 | Ghost: formerly Flappy Fenders | In the Stovebolt Gallery
1962 Chevrolet C10
1962 Suburban
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 1,552
4
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
4 Offline
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 1,552

Last edited by 4-5-6 Chevy Trucks; 03/30/2011 3:23 AM.
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,756
G
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
G Offline
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,756
lmost anything will work. If you are keeping the tank in its original position. I moved mine and used a carpet pad from Menards that had a fiber weave on one side. I painted that witn a rattle can.


Moderated by  Hambone, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0