The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (GRNHydra, Gdads51, Hotrod Lincoln), 69 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,089
Posts1,056,353
Members48,442
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 946
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 946
Hello,
I purchased a rebuilt electric wiper motor for my 55.2 Chevy truck. It only has one brown wire. Should it have a ground wire or is the body of the motor grounded when bolted in? I sanded off all paint where it mounts and connected the "wiper motor" wire (aftermarket wiring harness) and switched the motor on and nothing happened. Any ideas? I get a little spark when I connect the power wire if that means anything.

Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 63
U
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
U Offline
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 63
intrigued with that , one wire ? usually has 2 which the switch changes polarity to reverse the motor. have you tried connecting the motor up does it go one way with 12v on the brown wire and an earth on the motor frame ? if so try grounding that brown wire and place 12v positive onto the case of the motor. doing this on an insulated surface i.e timber bench what happens?

Joined: Jul 2001
Posts: 3,887
S
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
S Offline
Joined: Jul 2001
Posts: 3,887
bad unit? there is only one brown wire on the original and the case is the ground via the small sheet metal brace on one end [the main mount has grommet cushions on the 2 bolts] - the spark means power is finding ground .... did it come with the control attached? maybe that cable needs adjusting where it connects to the control, did you try it on the bench or mounted?

Bill


Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature we find it attached to the rest of the world" John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics & Rust-a-holics Unanimous parking lot
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 946
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 946
I tried it mounted in the truck. Guess I thought a rebuilt motor would work! BTW, the grommets where it mounts on the top were disintegrated so I just took that down to bare metal as well.

I hooked up the cable and it seems to click to the on position, but that is a good idea to double check that.

If I test it out of the truck do I simply hook up a wire to the + side of a battery and ground the - side to the body of the motor? I don't want to fry this thing!

Joined: Jul 2001
Posts: 3,887
S
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
S Offline
Joined: Jul 2001
Posts: 3,887
yes, you can just clip a wire from the body of the unit to ground and then touch the lead wire to the + with the switch in one position then change the switch and touch the + lead again ... hold the motor so it doesn't jump, they do have some torque .... and there should be 3 positions of the switch, off, on, high

you do want to have those rubber grommets on the mount or it'll drive you crazy with the noise humming thru the body metal

Bill


Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature we find it attached to the rest of the world" John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics & Rust-a-holics Unanimous parking lot
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 946
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 946
Bill,
I'll give it a try tonight. Though I must say, I only recognize one "click" when moving the cable, even if I move it by hand. Doesn't seem like three?

Do you know where to get those grommets?

Thanks for the advice!

Joined: Jul 2001
Posts: 3,887
S
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
S Offline
Joined: Jul 2001
Posts: 3,887
I'd have to try one on the bench to see the sound and feel, but they are a 2 speed motor so there's 2 "on" positions, the high speed one may not be noticeable .... I'd look at a FLAPS for the grommets, should be able to find some to fit in an assortment

Bill


Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature we find it attached to the rest of the world" John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics & Rust-a-holics Unanimous parking lot
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 946
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 946
So I left the motor in the truck and ran two wires directly from the battery to the motor. I grounded the motor housing and touched the + wire. Got a small spark and nothing. I manually moved the lever and nothing. So, I guess it is a bad unit. Hopefully Classic Parts will replace it as I bought it over a year ago.


Moderated by  Jon G, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0