The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 157 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,089
Posts1,056,441
Members48,443
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#73334 02/16/2007 4:02 AM
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 13
M
Junior Member
Junior Member
M Offline
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 13
I have 2 1953 GMC pickups,I will be making one from both.These are Canadian trucks which are basically chev trucks as they have the 216 engine.My question is which engine is best as I have a GMC 248 and a GMC 302.Iis this a difficult swap? also will the 248 clutch housing fit the 302?
thanks for any info

#73335 02/16/2007 4:18 AM
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 2,773
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 2,773
The 302 is the holy grail of GMC sixes. Finding blocks can be a problem. I don't know about the bell housing. The 248 is a good engine, in it's own right. If I were wanting to put a GMC six in a truck, I would get a 270. Blocks are a lot easier to find than the 302.


Fred
52 3600
69 C-10
#73336 02/16/2007 4:27 AM
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,100
3
3B Offline
'Bolter
'Bolter
3 Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,100
Hy masseyharris, bellhousings interchange within the G.M.C. line 228 236,248,256,270,302, and across to the Chevy line 216,235,261. The G.M.C. engine is longer than the Chevy, so adaption or crossmember replacement will be necessary, also the rad. will have to be relocated, hope that helps.

#73337 02/16/2007 6:15 AM
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 920
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 920
I've looked into a 302 a little bit. They aren't that hard to find, but they are expensive to rebuild, especially to warm them up. My current pipe dream is to wait a few years till my son gets older and hot rod a '39 or '40 pickup w/ a 302, 5spd and a F@#d 9" rear. At 3 1/2 he's pretty much into cars and trucks, especially trucks.


1962 Fleetside 4spd 235 w/O.D. posi 3:90
In the Stovebolt Gallery
1990 Subaru Legacy Wagon AWD 2.2 5sp
2013 Ram Tradesman C/V
My Webshot Photos]
#73338 02/16/2007 4:35 PM
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
O
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
Best is send me the 302 and keep those Canadian trucks completely original with their Chevy motors.


1955 1st GMC Suburban | 1954 GMC 250 trailer puller project | 1954 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic | 1954 Chevy 3100 . 1947 Chevy COE | and more...
It's true. I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble...
#73339 02/16/2007 11:32 PM
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,464
W
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
W Offline
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,464
Along this same line; how hard would it be to bore out a 248 to make it a 270, and are the cranks the same?

#73340 02/17/2007 7:15 PM
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,897
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,897
The 248 has a shorter stroke... I think 3 13/16 of an inch. The 270 and 302 had a 4 inch stroke. It was popular to put the 248 short stroke crank in the 302s to reduce friction and rev higher. Some torque would be lost, and some upper range performance would be gained.

Putting a 270 crank in a 248 would basically give you a little bit more stroke and increase torque. I'm not sure how many cubic inches you would pick up.

#73341 02/17/2007 7:19 PM
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,897
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,897
Hey bigmacdaddy... That is exactly the project I am working on now... 1940 gmc, 302 with a nv4500 5speed and f@rd 9 inch rear with 4.11 posi. I hope it comes together in person as well as it sounds on paper!

#73342 02/17/2007 8:17 PM
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 920
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 920
That's awesome and weird. 1st the name and now this. You would think I was copying you. Great minds must think alike. How about some pics?


1962 Fleetside 4spd 235 w/O.D. posi 3:90
In the Stovebolt Gallery
1990 Subaru Legacy Wagon AWD 2.2 5sp
2013 Ram Tradesman C/V
My Webshot Photos]
#73343 02/19/2007 6:46 AM
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 3,458
4
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
4 Offline
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 3,458
I've got a 302 also, just picked it up last month. It's going into my '50 Chevy with a 4 speed saginaw and 3.07 rearend. I'll be fuel injecting it after I get it running and set up. It has a 2bbl Holley and a governor on it right now. It runs but smokes a bit.


Paint & Body Shop moderator
A lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0