The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
6 members (Hotrod Lincoln, TUTS 59, Snowman51, klhansen, Bill Hanlon, cmayna), 59 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,099
Posts1,056,501
Members48,444
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 66
A
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
A Offline
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 66
Hello All,
Melvin, I took your advice and took the door latches apart. I resprung (stretched)the slider springs and reassembled. Some improvement but not good enough. I then noticed the wear on the end of the door handle (square end). I inserted a tap where the bolt goes and mig welded the square where worn. I then ground and filed until the square fit tight with no slop into the latch. This corrected the droopy handle syndrom. Now I realize that mig is soft but at the age of 63 I think it will outlive me.

Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Way to go APV. I have also heard of a few guys putting the handle in a vice, heating it up, and then twisting it a bit. From the couple I have heard of doing that it worked also.

...yeah, they'll outlive us but we need to leave a little work for someone else later!!


1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,750
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,750
That's what I did Alvin, I didn't use heat,I just had an extra helping of spinach!
Worked fine for me....brute force and ignorance wink

Thanks for the tip APV.
I'm sure others will find it useful. thumbs_up


1950 Chevy Advance Design 3100 in Scotland
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Flickr.
I've definately got this truck thing in my blood ... my DNA sequence has torque settings
"Of all the small nations of this earth,perhaps only the ancient Greeks surpass the Scots in their contribution to mankind" Winston Churchill.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0