| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,087 Posts1,056,377 Members48,442 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Feb 2010 Posts: 323 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Feb 2010 Posts: 323 | I've installed CPP'S Disc brakes on stock axle but no one makes a steering arm for power steering[at least that I can find] Guess I'll have to make one.  I'm thinking water jet out of 1" stock. Or maby some heavy angle. Any one been here before I jump in??
Last edited by cletis; 03/10/2011 5:18 AM. Reason: clarified title
These old bolts are in my blood. Hard thing is focusing on just one.
1937 Chevy 1/2 ton panel 1953 GMC 2 ton. future car hauler
| | | | | Joined: Feb 2000 Posts: 5,225 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Feb 2000 Posts: 5,225 | Why would you need to change the arm? | | | | | Joined: Feb 2010 Posts: 323 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Feb 2010 Posts: 323 | My plan is to mount a Saginaw box like so many others have done.The stock steering arm is vary low. I'm running a 350 so don't think a Toyota 4x4 box will clear. Joe H Nice 37
These old bolts are in my blood. Hard thing is focusing on just one.
1937 Chevy 1/2 ton panel 1953 GMC 2 ton. future car hauler
| | | | | Joined: Feb 2000 Posts: 5,225 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Feb 2000 Posts: 5,225 | I guess I have never seen one with power steering or a different box. I have the 41-46 steering box in mine, it steers much easer then stock, but still requires work at very slow speeds. I can see where power would be nice, but I wouldn't want a fast ratio box since the truck is pretty top heavy, I could see getting in trouble with that combination.
Good luck with your quest, and post some pictures when you get it figured out. Joe | | | | | Joined: Nov 2005 Posts: 238 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Nov 2005 Posts: 238 | What about this steering arm from CPP. it bolts to the top two brake backplate boltholes in the spindle using 7/16" bolts. The steering arm is made to work with the Saginaw power steering conversion, so should work for you if the '38 spindles have the same bolt pitch as the later ones. Stuart. | | | | | Joined: Feb 2010 Posts: 323 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Feb 2010 Posts: 323 | That arm is not listed to fit my 38,Guess I'll call CPP and get the bolt spacing. Thanks Stuart
These old bolts are in my blood. Hard thing is focusing on just one.
1937 Chevy 1/2 ton panel 1953 GMC 2 ton. future car hauler
| | | | | Joined: Nov 2005 Posts: 238 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Nov 2005 Posts: 238 | Just in case you don't get the info you need from CPP. I have a complete spare front axle from my '50 truck here in my garage. Let me know if you need the bolt pitch measurement from it to compare with what you have on your '38.
The spare axle I have was working on my truck with the CPP Saginaw P/S kit; I only changed it out when I fitted new king pins and bushes to another identical axle.
Stuart. | | | | | Joined: Feb 2010 Posts: 323 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Feb 2010 Posts: 323 | Stuart that would be great.Talking to a salesman on the phone is not nearly as good as getting measurements from a brother Bolter. My two top spindle bolts are 7/16 and 3 1/8 inch center to center.
These old bolts are in my blood. Hard thing is focusing on just one.
1937 Chevy 1/2 ton panel 1953 GMC 2 ton. future car hauler
| | | | | Joined: Nov 2005 Posts: 238 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Nov 2005 Posts: 238 | Just measured the hole centres on the top of the spindles of my spare '50 front axle. They're 3 1/8", and take a 7/16" bolt.
So you should be OK to fit the CPP steering arm on your truck. I would think that the rest of the CPP kit should pretty much fit too, we've mocked up the same P/S Saginaw installation that I have onto my elder brother's '36 low cab 1/2 ton truck, it only needs a few alterations to the steering box mounting bracket to fit straight on to the '36 chassis.
Stuart. | | | | | Joined: Feb 2010 Posts: 323 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Feb 2010 Posts: 323 | OUTSTANDING !  Stuart thanks so much for checking the bolt pattern for me. Thanks again Stovebolt rocks
These old bolts are in my blood. Hard thing is focusing on just one.
1937 Chevy 1/2 ton panel 1953 GMC 2 ton. future car hauler
| | |
| |
| |