The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
7 members (Otto Skorzeny, J Lucas, dt235sd, Cosmo, jeffreyguy, Charles in CA, LAROKE), 132 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,107
Posts1,056,221
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#728185 03/09/2011 11:26 AM
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 25
B
New Guy
New Guy
B Offline
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 25
Just wondering if anyone has tried this or has any experiance with upgrading a new intake and 2 barrel on a 235...How the motor ran and any good details on the upgrade... Iv heard someone say it wont work and wont run right and then got someone insisting on it to get the max out of the motor on a slow running truck, 66 GMC LWB. Any info appreciated, (and BIG CHEVY heres my start of questions lol)


1966 GMC
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,847
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,847
clifford makes a manifold that depending on the adapter you put on it can use a 2 or 4 barrel. from what I hear, it runs very well. If I had known then what I know now, I would have went this route. The only issue is you almost need to use their headers, it will work with the fentons if you do a little grinding according to the fella at clifford

Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 323
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 323
I think you get better performance with duel one barrels because the carbs are spread out between the cylinders more evenly. #1&#6 tend to run lean with one carb in the middle.




These old bolts are in my blood. Hard thing is focusing on just one.

1937 Chevy 1/2 ton panel
1953 GMC 2 ton. future car hauler

Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 120
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 120
I have one Webber 2bl on stock 235...Very big improvement over the stock 1bl. I have had this setup on two trucks. Starts easy, smooth idle and extra power when needed.

I had the Webber on a '72 Datsun 510, so it was free and bought the one to two adapter from Langdon's for $15.00, He also sells the carbs if you need one, about $75. + air cleaner.

I'm sure the two singles will work good also, I have that setup for another truck but haven't tried it yet. Plenty of guys run them on this site.

Do a search for webber. There is tons of reading! Good Luck.



1954 4400

1954 3800

Jim D.

'41 Chevy 1-Ton Pickup/dump...292" 4-speed w/Ranger OD ... Newest Truck

'54 Chevy 3800 Dump........New Truck!
'54 Chevy 4400 flatbed/dump, Gone to my brother-in-law

'13 GMC 1500 daily driver ... 5.3 6-speed auto just turned 13k miles
'01 Chevy 2500hd, might be my new daily driver ... 6.0 / 4L80-E
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 188
G
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
G Offline
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 188
66 GMC?? Probably a 250 not a 235. Offy is the preferred intake. Headers help. Clifford makes some or Langdon's. Carb wise anything up to 500 cfm works. Some use holley 390 cfm ones.
I run a holley 350 2 barrel on an Offy with Langdon's headers on mine. Starts instantly and never misses a beat.

Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 2,644
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 2,644
Back in the day, everyone was using Stromberg 97 carbs and I see in the Summit Racing catalog that they are still in favor with guys doing vintage engines.

Why is it that we never hear of these being used or recommended on 235's?


Woody
Your Brother in Bolthood

My 1951 half-ton 'Ol Red

Save the VINTAGE DOOR ART! Please contribute photos.
Door Art Collection
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 487
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 487
I think its the ~$450 for the Stromberg 97 or the ~$380 for the Edelbrock 94 compared to the ~$90 for the Holley Weber that prevents there being a lot of interest in the 94/97 replicas. The guys who value originality over functionality aren't going to be interested in anything except a Rochester B or a Carter YF. The guys who only care about functionality are't going to spend 4-5x the price for 1x the performance. IMHO

regards,
Leon

Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,922
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,922
The 97 was popular because they were cheap, and there was no cheap 4 bbl.
Neither of those things are still true.

Joined: Feb 2003
Posts: 1,377
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2003
Posts: 1,377
I was thinking about machining the intake to accept a 302 GMC 4 bolt carb or one off a Pontiac or Buick straight 8 so I would have a vintage looking carb.

Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,067
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,067
I ran a 2 bbl on my 235 and I got more rpm on the top end, along with more power, and I was able to increase my top speed from barely 60 up to about 72. It was a good mod.


52 GMC 3/4 ton pickup
68 Big Block Vette
68 455 Firebird
Joined: Feb 2003
Posts: 452
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2003
Posts: 452
Were these synchronous or progressive 2 bbls?


Current fleet (subject to change w/o notice)
\'49 GMC 3/4-Ton , 60 Austin Healey Frog-eye Sprite (some assembly required), 2011 Dodge Avenger, 2015 Jeep Cherokee. No, they don't all run.
My other ride is a (B737)no, (B767)no, A320.... Update... was Embraer E190, now Boeing B787.

Knowledge is a wonderful thing, but ignorance means you don't know you can't do something.
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269

What model carb did you use?
What adapter did you use?

Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 120
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 120
I use a Weber 32/36 DGV, which is a manual choke & progessive 2bbl.

DGEV=electric choke

There is a Weber 38/38 that is a synchronous...but I have never used one.



1954 4400

1954 3800

Jim D.

'41 Chevy 1-Ton Pickup/dump...292" 4-speed w/Ranger OD ... Newest Truck

'54 Chevy 3800 Dump........New Truck!
'54 Chevy 4400 flatbed/dump, Gone to my brother-in-law

'13 GMC 1500 daily driver ... 5.3 6-speed auto just turned 13k miles
'01 Chevy 2500hd, might be my new daily driver ... 6.0 / 4L80-E
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269

Thanks, Jim,

What base-adapter, if any, do you use?

Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 120
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 120
Hi Tim, I bought the base adapter from Langdon's for about $15.00 two bolt to four bolt alum. He should have a picture on his website.

btw...your blue burb!!!...one of my all time favorites. I hope to have a 54-55 panel someday.



1954 4400

1954 3800

Jim D.

'41 Chevy 1-Ton Pickup/dump...292" 4-speed w/Ranger OD ... Newest Truck

'54 Chevy 3800 Dump........New Truck!
'54 Chevy 4400 flatbed/dump, Gone to my brother-in-law

'13 GMC 1500 daily driver ... 5.3 6-speed auto just turned 13k miles
'01 Chevy 2500hd, might be my new daily driver ... 6.0 / 4L80-E
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269

Thanks, Jim,

Here is another source for that adapter. I'll look for those carbs and see if I can find specs on them (for use of one on a 261).

Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 181
1
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
1 Offline
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 181
If you really want it to pickup in performance call Clifford Engineering in Wildomar, CA. They have a Weber 38 carburetor that when installed on a stock intake manifold will bring that thing to life. No kidding. It is a $500+ item but it is really well engineered and trouble free. The simple but dependable design of that Weber is amazing.

Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 241
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 241
Jim:

I'm interested in what the linkage setup looks like with your Weber 32/36 DGV. I've been thinking about changing to a 2 barrel and keeping the manual choke on my 235. Do you have any pictures?


1956 Chevy 3200, 1/2 Ton, 235 CI
https://photos.app.goo.gl/TQQo1YnFjs3U7xB57

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0