The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (Southerntruck, klhansen, Mike B, Robert Crandall, Peggy M), 103 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,118
Posts1,056,646
Members48,450
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#725697 03/01/2011 10:31 PM
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 29
C
New Guy
New Guy
C Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 29
Hello all, I am missing a few screws that hold the top of the carb where the air cleaner attaches to the bottom of the carb where it bolts to the intake. I tried matching these in a hardware store but the thread wasn't anything they carried. Someone told me Rochester used a special thread unique to their company. If this is true where can I get these screws from? Thanks In advance, Dave

Last edited by cletis; 03/01/2011 10:38 PM. Reason: removed parts wanted ad
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 29
C
New Guy
New Guy
C Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 29
There is a good chance the motor or carb aren't original. I thought I tried all of the screws at the local hardware store but maybe I didn't. I think you understood me on where the 4 screws are at. The screws go through the piece that the air cleaner also attach to. I will try and track some 12-24 screws down at the local hardware store. Is a 12 series screw the same as a 3/16?

Thanks, Dave

Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,836
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,836
Here's a bit more trivia for you- - - -When GM decided to produce their own carburetor for the Chevy engine, it was a major financial blow to Carter. The Carter CEO vowed to produce one million replacement carbs for Chevrolet engines and sell them through their authorized distributor network, including my father's shop. A few years later, Carter had the one-millionth carb of that series gold-plated, and presented it to GM's CEO.

"The ABC's of carburetion- - - -Always Buy Carter" was their slogan for a long time.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
Thanks to Hotrod for that little bit of history. That is fascinating.

In 1952 I believe it was, GM beefed up the Rochester B top a little. The Four screws were a size bigger and the metal under the screws was quite a bit thicker.


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 29
C
New Guy
New Guy
C Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 29
Thanks everyone, I will head out and get those screws today. I can't remember who told me that the rochester carb had their own unique thread but they sounded very convincing!

Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 29
C
New Guy
New Guy
C Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 29
Bad news...just came back from the hardware store and the bolt I have is not a 12-24. It screwed a half turn in a 12-24 nut before the threads bound up. The guy used his thread pitch gauge and told me there were 28 threads per inch. Does this make sense to anyone? If you hold my bolt next to a 12-24 mine is a tiny bit more fine thread. Help!

Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 2,767
C
Carburetion specialist
Carburetion specialist
C Online: Content
Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 2,767
1950 and early 1951 carbs used a 10 x 32 thread. Late 1951 the thread was changed to 12 x 28.

Jon.


Good carburetion is fuelish hot air
The most expensive carburetor is the wrong one you attempt to modify.
If you truly believe "one size fits all," try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!
The Carburetor Shop
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
Denny,
I have in front of me my GM manual on the new carburetors for 1952, publication #MTS-52-8 &9-S&M. Quoting from page 2 "For 1952, Chevrolet introduces a new improved GM Model B carburetor. Externally, this new carburetor has larger air horn screws, a thicker flange and heavier bosses. There are numerous internal improvements." I have the earlier carburetor and the 1952 model and with my units, the screws are larger on the 52.


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 29
C
New Guy
New Guy
C Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 29
Where can I get 12-28 thread screws from?

Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 29
C
New Guy
New Guy
C Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 29
Where could I buy a 12-28 screw?

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0