The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
7 members (Donf, Peggy M, Lightholder's Dad, cmayna, 48JimC, Gdads51, 1 invisible), 121 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,092
Posts1,056,457
Members48,443
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 304
P
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
P Offline
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 304
Bought a 235 w/crack in exhaust manafold and no carb. Any reason why I can't use the 216 intake and exhaust and carb? 1952- 216 1959- 235


'52 3100 "once a Marine, always a Marine!!
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
I do it all the time.
The port size is smaller on the 216 so you need to use adapter alignment rings, or no rings at all, and take time to align.


See the USA in your vintage Chevrolet!
My Blog
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 304
P
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
P Offline
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 304
Thanks, that'll save me a bunch!!!!


'52 3100 "once a Marine, always a Marine!!
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
Pre 68Dave,
what do you do for a carburetor in this setup? I am going to guess that you rejet a 216 carb.


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,544
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,544
Dave, how do you put things together without the alignment rings? Thanks Don

Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
Originally Posted by truckernix
Pre 68Dave,
what do you do for a carburetor in this setup? I am going to guess that you rejet a 216 carb.
I have a steep hill I test all of the 235s I work on and I have seen no adverse affect from running a 216 carb. with 216 jetting.
From 1941-49 the big trucks with splash 235s used 216 carbs and manifolds from the factory.

Don, I make my own alignment ring adapters but I know a lot of people leave the rings out.
I would glue the gaskets to the head to keep them lined up, and center the manifold , if your not using rings.


See the USA in your vintage Chevrolet!
My Blog
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 13
V
New Guy
New Guy
V Offline
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 13
I 2nd what Dave has suggested.
Before you decide to use the 216, and if you are going to use the 235 carb (Which I did), make sure the 235 is not 2and 15/16".
I was going to use a two carb offenhauser manifold on my 1961 engine. It was designed for 2 and 15/16, I sold the "Offy" and stayed with the original 235 cast iron intake and exhaust. Glued the gaskets to the head, done away with the "alignment rings", bolted everything back together, started her up, have had no leaks yet.


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0