Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,092 Posts1,056,457 Members48,443 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Nov 2010 Posts: 304 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Nov 2010 Posts: 304 | Bought a 235 w/crack in exhaust manafold and no carb. Any reason why I can't use the 216 intake and exhaust and carb? 1952- 216 1959- 235
'52 3100 "once a Marine, always a Marine!! | | | | | Joined: Jan 2001 Posts: 5,337 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2001 Posts: 5,337 | I do it all the time. The port size is smaller on the 216 so you need to use adapter alignment rings, or no rings at all, and take time to align.
See the USA in your vintage Chevrolet! My Blog | | | | | Joined: Nov 2010 Posts: 304 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Nov 2010 Posts: 304 | Thanks, that'll save me a bunch!!!!
'52 3100 "once a Marine, always a Marine!! | | | | | Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 9,115 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 9,115 | Pre 68Dave, what do you do for a carburetor in this setup? I am going to guess that you rejet a 216 carb. | | | | | Joined: Nov 2006 Posts: 2,544 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Nov 2006 Posts: 2,544 | Dave, how do you put things together without the alignment rings? Thanks Don | | | | | Joined: Jan 2001 Posts: 5,337 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2001 Posts: 5,337 | Pre 68Dave, what do you do for a carburetor in this setup? I am going to guess that you rejet a 216 carb. I have a steep hill I test all of the 235s I work on and I have seen no adverse affect from running a 216 carb. with 216 jetting. From 1941-49 the big trucks with splash 235s used 216 carbs and manifolds from the factory. Don, I make my own alignment ring adapters but I know a lot of people leave the rings out. I would glue the gaskets to the head to keep them lined up, and center the manifold , if your not using rings.
See the USA in your vintage Chevrolet! My Blog | | | | | Joined: Jan 2011 Posts: 13 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Jan 2011 Posts: 13 | I 2nd what Dave has suggested. Before you decide to use the 216, and if you are going to use the 235 carb (Which I did), make sure the 235 is not 2and 15/16". I was going to use a two carb offenhauser manifold on my 1961 engine. It was designed for 2 and 15/16, I sold the "Offy" and stayed with the original 235 cast iron intake and exhaust. Glued the gaskets to the head, done away with the "alignment rings", bolted everything back together, started her up, have had no leaks yet. | | |
| |