| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,109 Posts1,056,266 Members48,439 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Dec 2010 Posts: 64 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Dec 2010 Posts: 64 | Hi All, Tried the 19.5 rims on my '36 1 1/2 ton and they DO NOT fit over the rear brake drums.So now I am wondering what the right choice for tires is as they are quite an investment. What does everyone use for a brand and size ? I am looking at putting the Firestone 650x20 (34.6" tall) on the rear and the Denmans 650x20 (32.6" tall) on the front. Any and all opinions would be appreciated. Thanks, David | | | | | Joined: Mar 2010 Posts: 66 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Mar 2010 Posts: 66 | are you using the oem wheel or did you just use the oem centers on new outer rim | | | | | Joined: Dec 2010 Posts: 64 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Dec 2010 Posts: 64 | | | | | | Joined: Aug 2010 Posts: 127 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Aug 2010 Posts: 127 | I put the firestone 650-20's on my 41 1.5 ton. I love the way they look, and they fit the fender opening perfectly, much better than the 600-20's that were on there. | | | | | Joined: Dec 2010 Posts: 64 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Dec 2010 Posts: 64 | Thanks for that. I guess you didn't have any clearance/turning problems with putting them on the front. I was thinking I might have to put the next size smaller on the front. I'd like to put them all around.
| | | | | Joined: Jul 2008 Posts: 413 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jul 2008 Posts: 413 | Hey David, I see you are located in Mass. Im in Essex.
My truck is a 2&1/2 ton, it came from the factory with 8.25/20 tires, which were optional. 7.50/20 were standard. When the time comes, Im hoping to use the same size with my original wheels, i want to keep the truck original.
Last edited by JeffL; 02/20/2011 8:03 PM.
| | | | | Joined: Dec 2010 Posts: 64 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Dec 2010 Posts: 64 | Hey Jeff, Essex is a nice place to be. Great ship building museum and boat hardware junk shops. The thing that I am finding is that the same tire desigbation, say 6.50, may differ 2" in diameter between brands. I would like to run as tall a tire as I can get away with for road speed but don't want the truck to look silly. So I'm guessing now with your input that 8.25 would work. The ones available today are 39 1/2" tall ! What is the height of yours ? | | | | | Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,878 . | | . Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,878 | Hold on now... don't go buy those 8.25-20 tires just yet.... Jeff hasn't said what model truck he has, and I bet it's not the same.
Also, before buying different tires check that your rim width is compatable with them.
Grigg | | | | | Joined: Dec 2010 Posts: 64 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Dec 2010 Posts: 64 | Thanks Grigg, I was hoping that you would weigh in on this. Have been following all your threads on the wheel "quest". I think that I will go ahead and get 4 of the Firestone 6.50x20 as they are the only truck tread that I can find available. All the others are a highway tread. I'll check the width before I get them. Thanks, David If you know anyone in the Ma. area that's looking , I have (7) 19.5 10 bolt rims and (5) good tires that need a home.... | | |
| |
| |