The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (Millenimech, Shaffer's1950, Otto Skorzeny), 112 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,134
Posts1,056,403
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Looking good plummer. Now that I see your "red" burb it makes me realize mine really is an "orange" color. If I get to working on my panel maybe we could have a photo-op in the spring/summer smile


1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 321
P
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
P Offline
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 321
Hey all - Hard at it on the suburban again. I'm going through the rear end this weekend. It's currently tore down. I have 2.41 gears in the rear, and I'll leave them there until I get it up and running. Replaced all bearings, seals, brakes. Has anybody tried to use a 70-81 camaro rear and hook up the e-brake to the factory unit? Just curious. I'm wondering should I try the 47-53 cables or the camaro cables? Trial and error I guess. I'd be curious to see what others have done.

Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 95
S
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
S Offline
Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 95
Patrick,
Thats what I did but used a pull handle from a 66 chev p/u.
Doing the foot pedal would work also.
Be sure and rob all the cables and brake drum guts.
I also used a peice of after market e-brake cable to make up the difference.It's FAB time............


Sully

Joined: May 2007
Posts: 321
P
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
P Offline
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 321
Well Sully et al, I think I got it today. I used the camaro rear brake lines, and the rubber line that goes to the steel line on the frame as camaro parts, moved the bracket that holds the rubber line to the frame to the drivers side and re-attached, and I used Camaro e-brake lines, cut them and attached to the factory clevis pins and brake rod. I drilled out the holes one eighth of an inch on the ebrake line clamps that attach to the frame to accomodate for the camaro ebrake lines and Presto! Works like a champ.

Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
two thumbs up. Good job. thumbs_up thumbs_up


1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 321
P
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
P Offline
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 321
Fired the engine yesterday. Wow, that's a great feeling. Small issue with the Mallory distrubtor fitting. it slid into the block just fine but doesn't go down all the way to the machined flange on the shaft even with the clamp installed. I did get oil pressure, but there's a 1/4 inch gap. Weird. I guess I need to see if a other guys had the same fitment too. I'll end up changing it out later for a different distributor, but it will work for now. The truck is ready for glass and interior. There are still a few nagging things underneath that I need to finish up, but I am so close I can taste it. For whatever reason, firing the engine gave me some motivation again. These small things near the end of this project have been a royal pain in my a$$. I appreciate everybody's help. The last two movies may take a while to load. I should probably pop them up on youtube.



http://gallery.mac.com/patrick.plummer#100501&bgcolor=black&view=grid

Tim - The templates for the placement of the rear lights worked perfectly. They look really nice.

Also, I had a friend of mine also manage to straighten the rear bumper pan for me. It was beyond my metal skills. He ended up cutting and stitching it back together again. Pretty amazing metalworker. I'm not bad at it, but when you can take a flat piece of steel 5 feet long that's twisted up and make it look new again, that's a metalsmith.


Last edited by pplummer; 07/09/2011 10:49 AM.
Joined: Jun 2001
Posts: 793
T
Bondo Artiste
Bondo Artiste
T Offline
Joined: Jun 2001
Posts: 793
It is so good to see an update from you. Keep on moving ahead. Would love to come down to a cruise in and meet you and see your suburban.

Small gains here for me, cylinder head installed and torqued. Jump seat floor replaced and seat mocked up. I little bit here, and a little bit there.....


~ Phillip
1949 GMC Suburban - 10 year project
1952 Pontiac Chieftain Convertible straight 8 hydramatic
1945 GMC half ton truck - Driver- Sold 9-15-25
1946 Chevy COE - SOLD 1-5-26 BUH BYE CHEVY!
1959 GMC Half ton long bed NAPCO
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,780
G
Master Gabster
Master Gabster
G Offline
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,780
Just over two years and you're near completion, now that's progress! I always look forward to your updates. thumbs_up

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269

Phillip,

Congratulations. Do you have pictures of how the jump-seat cushion attaches to the jump-seat frame.

I'll be living in NC/VA in about 5 years. Hope to cruise often with you-all.

Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Phillip, its looking nice. I understand the part about motivation. The closer to the end the more excited! Its still good days and bad days but the good days are more often,right?

It'd be nice if we could get you,woody,Les, and a couple guys from around Greensboro together for a greet/meet gabfest! I'd be willing to drive up your way and maybe Tim could take the weekend off?


1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 321
P
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
P Offline
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 321
Hey Phil,

Come on down, we can all meet together. Greensboro is fine too. I typically spend my weekends in Fancy Gap, VA and my weekdays in the Raleigh area in the summertime. It's just too dang hot here until September rolls around!

Patrick

Joined: May 2007
Posts: 321
P
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
P Offline
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 321
Just ordered my door glass, regulator repair kit, and my counterbalances to finish up the rear doors. Larry, the fellow that wired my truck has a friend that's a glass guy that quoted me a price I couldn't refuse to install the glass, AND he's done a suburban rear set of windows! It's going to be put in late this week or next week. That way, I can bring it home and know the gauges, etc will stay dry in case I get caught in the rain. Then I can finish the rest off here.

Joined: May 2007
Posts: 321
P
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
P Offline
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 321
More progress this weekend. I got the front end put together and ran the engine up to temp to break in the camshaft. It runs like a dream. Pics are in the bottom link in my sig. The videos will take a while to load.

My upper clamshell door is also mounted, but my upper hinges for it are really worn. Does anybody know where there is a pair, or have rebuilt the originals?

Also, I put some pics up there for the sliding rear window pieces that affix to the glass. I spoke to the glass guy. He said don't bother trying to cut out and bend the original felt out. He said to remove them completely from the channel and he'd glue new ones to them. Not sure if anybody has tried it but I was game for it.

Last edited by pplummer; 07/18/2011 6:31 PM.
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,780
G
Master Gabster
Master Gabster
G Offline
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,780
It is looking great! thumbs_up I can't believe your progress! chug

Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 121
E
'Bolter
'Bolter
E Offline
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 121
Originally Posted by pplummer
Just ordered my door glass, regulator repair kit, and my counterbalances to finish up the rear doors.



can you tell me what part# the counterbalances you ordered were???
mine are missing and i would like to get some correct ones.
Thank you

Joined: May 2007
Posts: 321
P
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
P Offline
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 321
Originally Posted by elhippie64
Originally Posted by pplummer
Just ordered my door glass, regulator repair kit, and my counterbalances to finish up the rear doors.



can you tell me what part# the counterbalances you ordered were???
mine are missing and i would like to get some correct ones.
Thank you

A-105, 9-11lb pull, flat face


Last edited by pplummer; 07/19/2011 2:18 AM.
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,780
G
Master Gabster
Master Gabster
G Offline
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,780
Quote
Thanks George, I still need to get that handle back to you! I ended up sourcing the correct one from that guy in Kansas.

I don't need it and I don't want you to waste the money on postage. ....g

Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 121
E
'Bolter
'Bolter
E Offline
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 121
Originally Posted by pplummer
A-105, 9-11lb pull, flat face





thank you for your help

Joined: May 2007
Posts: 321
P
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
P Offline
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 321
Not sure if I shared this before, but the truck is coming along well. Down to the small stuff now and an interior. (Waiting on funds to build)



Joined: May 2007
Posts: 321
P
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
P Offline
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 321
Glass is in! It's now back at the house. I need to start at one end and work my way to the other. I just put the rear bumper, valance, and rubber on tonight. It looks great! I'll bolt the entire truck together and fit everything, then go back over to touch up my boo boo's.



Some advice: The glass kit that classic parts sells is terrible. I watched the glass guy struggle with the window channels on one window for hours. After 3 hours, he gave up and said the material was substandard. He headed to Steele Rubber just down the road (about 45 minutes) and picked up some better material. He knew pretty much what he needed to get.

Anyway, 3 hours later and all 4 windows complete and the channel was much more flexible than the other stuff.

Last edited by pplummer; 09/28/2011 4:13 AM.
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Looking...and sounding good!


1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 321
P
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
P Offline
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 321
Truck is DONE. I have a few small nagging things, but I'm gonna call it complete at this point. The fit and finish of the interior is better than any car i've ever restored. If you need an interior guy, he's the best I've ever used.

http://gallery.mac.com/patrick.plummer#100501&bgcolor=black&view=grid

Thanks to everybody who helped me on this build.



Last edited by pplummer; 12/15/2011 4:50 PM.
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 121
E
'Bolter
'Bolter
E Offline
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 121

Congratulations,,,, she looks beautiful.

Interior looks awesome. You did such a great job on this rig, thank you for shareing the build up.

Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,780
G
Master Gabster
Master Gabster
G Offline
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,780
Start date: 04/06/09 *
Originally Posted by pplummer
I am literally days away from sealing the deal on a clean 49 that needs restoring. To make a long story short, I've restored 2 AD pickups, and have a 47 in the garage now. My wife tells me she's pregnant, and I decide a Suburban would be more fun to enjoy knowing I have a family on the way. I start doing research and get slapped with all of the typical things. No aftermarket parts, no parts, no Trucks! Dang! A little different than restoring the pickup! I even thought, maybe I should buy a complete 95% or better original restored truck... I keep coming across the same 4 on the internet! Holy Cow. Should I really do this? Knowing what I know, the truck I stumbled across was one that I knew that a friend had in CA and he's willing to sell it to me. (not cheap) but it's complete and no rust. It doesn't even need floors. I'm not afraid of a challenging resto, but I am not sure about this.

I know they're worth some money complete. I'm looking to do near 100% original except for maybe some small things such as a 235 full pressure motor and an open driveline. That's about all. Also, it doesn't have the 2nd or third row seat, and I've read almost all the posts in this forum. Let me know if anybody has either one kicking around that they want to sell.

I've already reached out and spoke with Sully, a fellow member and have been speaking to him about my up and coming challenges. We'll see how this all goes. I'll definitely be reaching out on this build asking for some help if I decide to take the plunge versus previous resto's.

Thanks
Patrick

Complete date: 12/15/11 *
Originally Posted by pplummer
Truck is DONE. I have a few small nagging things, but I'm gonna call it complete at this point. The fit and finish of the interior is better than any car i've ever restored. If you need an interior guy, he's the best I've ever used.

http://gallery.mac.com/patrick.plummer#100501&bgcolor=black&view=grid

Thanks to everybody who helped me on this build.

You impressed the heck out of me! Great job thumbs_up

Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
Sweet.


"It's just a phase. He'll grow out of it." Mama, 1964

1956 Chevy 1/2-ton 3100
1953 Chevy 6100 "The Yard dog"
1954 GMC Suburban Now with a new proud owner.
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,557
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,557
That's really nice !!!


Tim


1951 3100 Chevrolet
1951 Chevrolet Suburban Carryall
Image
"A house is built with boards and beams. A home is built with love and dreams."
"Look deep before you leap !!!" / "Everything is Everything"
"If I say a mouse can pull a house, hitch him up"
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Awesome job. Nice work inside as well. The newborn will love the cruise's in it!!


1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 320
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 320
Beautiful job on the interior. You've done a great job overall. Looks like you're gonna get a lot of attention wherever you go.


1951 Chevy 1-Ton Panel
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Pictures of the restoration on Photobucket
Now cruising in the Passing Lane
RIP good friend.
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 595
1
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
1 Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 595
What a fantastic burb! I have an uncle that lives in north carolina that has a 49' clamshell burb that he has been driving since 1966! your sure brings back some great memories!

Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 438
4
'Bolter
'Bolter
4 Offline
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 438
Patrick
Great job and I like the color. You should be proud of the quality of the work. Now put some miles on the thing with the family!!


Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison
Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle."-Abraham Lincoln

Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 219
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 219
Congratulations what a wonderful job,I just love the interior the colors.
Enjoy

Last edited by laybacklenny; 12/23/2011 1:48 AM.

layback
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  MNSmith, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0