The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (RoadsScholar, Otto Skorzeny, 1 invisible), 197 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,108
Posts1,056,231
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 105
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 105
Hey guys, I have a small problem that I know many of you guys are very experienced with. I got new wheels for the truck and they are a little wider than the original. The back wheels are great but the front are hitting the rod ends. Is the best way to fix this sort of problem is to look for a spacer or to modify the truck? Any guidance would be great.
Thanks

Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,082
R
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
R Offline
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,082
if it aint hitting the tie rod ends by much, a spacer will do, as long as you have the clearance to the outside of the wheel and tire, from rubbing the fender lip.
i had this problem when i first installed my lowered front axle. i used a 1/4 or 1/2 spacer and it worked just fine. cant go too thick, or you wont have enough grip on the lug stud.

another option is to remove the steering arms, heat them and bend them in to get your clearance. then you would need a narrower tie rod.

leonard


1957 Chevy 3100 1/2-Ton
Photobucket pictures
In the Gallery
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 105
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 105
Thanks Ratrodking. Do you know where I can find a narrower tie rod? or should i cut and shorten it myself?

Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
W
Riding in the Passing Lane
Riding in the Passing Lane
W Offline
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
I have never had this problem but I understand if you still have the old style tie rod ends with the adjustment plug changing to the new style will solve it. It seems if you have to shorten the tie rod there should be enough adjustment in the ends to reset the toe-in.


They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing.
1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne Super
In the Gallery Forum
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 109
J
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
J Offline
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 109
Don't the spacers move the center of gravity as it relates to wheel bearings? I was under the impression that it did and that it could cause bearings to fail. Maybe not in a short period of time, but over a long run.

You can have longer studs installed. We had to do that on drag cars to have the proper amount of threads showing for NHRA safety inspection.


Jon S
Las Vegas NV
1966 GMC Suburban 305V6
Psalm 66 "Make a joyful noise"
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a205/gvdobler/0205011645b.jpg
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
I've had 1" adaptors to space mine out on my 1950, 3600 for close to 10,000 miles and haven't had any problems, handles like a dream. Wheels are off of a 1970 Chevy 3/4 ton with 16.5" radials and bumped the stock tierod ends. The front end was completley rebuilt stock when I brought it home 5 years ago.
Adaptors are counter bored to use the stock studs and the new mounting studs are staggered between the original holes.
Denny Graham
Sandwich, IL


Denny G
Sandwich, IL
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
If you heat up the steering arms and bend them, the toe out on turns will be incorrect.

Denny, where did you buy longer studs?

Last edited by truckernix; 02/20/2011 2:11 AM.

1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
Guess I din't explain it good enough Fred, I'll try again. I didn't replace the stock studs. The adaptor is counter-bored so that you use the full thread of the stock stud. The second set of studs are installed in the adaptor offset 22.5° so they fall in between the original holes. The second set of studs are the same length as the stock stud. These are adaptors not just a spacer.
Oh and I forgot to mention I'm using the original ball bearings with no problems also.
Denny Graham
Sandwich, IL


Denny G
Sandwich, IL
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,832
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,832
Many don't stop to realise that the bearings/spindles/knuckles/ and other suspension components were designed to withstand prolonged use with the truck LOADED. 99% of the re-done trucks will never see a load again other than a beer cooler so even with spacers the bearings and the rest of the parts are well within their design range. It's a different story if the truck is going to haul at it's maximum capacity and has spacers on it because that does increase bearing load beyond design.


Evan
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,803
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,803
If you choose to use spacers, please don't get the pot-metal ones that some aftermarket vendors sell. I've seen a few spacers that I'd be reluctant to be within two blocks of any vehicle running them. A good piece of machined steel custom-fabricated for a particular application might be OK, but don't cut corners on something as important as keeping the wheels on your truck. Cutting, bending, or grinding on steering parts can have some deadly consequences. The position and angle of the steering knuckles is engineered into the front end geometry, so don't go altering them unless you can do the math necessary to get it right.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
W
Riding in the Passing Lane
Riding in the Passing Lane
W Offline
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
A small difference in spacing is not going to effect the wheel brgs. A few years ago when the fad was to put the wheels sticking out the fenders it put a heavy load on the brgs & caused failures.


They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing.
1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne Super
In the Gallery Forum
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 111
B
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
B Offline
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 111
I am having a similar problem with a dropped axle and newer style tie-rods. I talked to Sid Drapal and we came to the conclusion to remove the 2 lower bolts that hold on the backing plates / control arms, replace them with a little longer bolts, spacers between the spindle and control arms,to move the control arms in, and new lock nuts on the bolts. Of course we will have to run the tie rod in to compensate, but it is good for the length.
By the way, 15" rims, but with same offset as the stock rims!

Last edited by bowtiefan; 02/20/2011 3:31 PM.
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 5,216
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 5,216
I am thinking along the lines of what Bowtiefan (Dan) said, just unbolt the arm and space it out equal amounts front and rear and side to side. Use grade 8 bolts and steel spacers. Toe-in will have to be adjusted, but steering geometry will not be effected.

Wheel bearings should not be effected with your wider wheels, it sounds like you still have plenty of wheel under and behind the spindle. What will hurt them is a wide wheel with all of the offset to the outside, think of a low rider wheel.

Joe

Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
Now that's the first time that I've heard of doing that Dan and I've been a regular here for going on five years. That sounds like a real good mod really easy to do if you have access to a lathe to make the spacers or you could make a one piece in a milling machine or as far as that goes that could be made in a drill press with a little care.
Generally the clearance problem is only 3/8-1/2", beats the hell out of the hundreds that I spent on the two adaptors. And mine were machined on a CNC from 6061 billets Jerry, and I'm sure that's why I've had absolutely no problem with them.
DG

Last edited by Denny Graham; 02/20/2011 10:12 PM.

Denny G
Sandwich, IL
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
I see a lot of these adapters made from aluminum. These are the ones with the second set of studs. Something bothers me about not using steel for this application.


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
And what woulod that be Fred?? 99% of tha cars today come with aluminum wheels now days stock from the factory.
6061-T4 or T6 is vastly different than cast aluminum or the softer grades of aluminum.

Denny Graham
Sandwich, IL


Denny G
Sandwich, IL
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
Yes Denny, that is just my own prejudice against the material! I think te adapters have aluminum studs too! I have a set of the steel ones that I bought early in my project, but which I didn't use. I must say they are really heavy.


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 78
G
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
G Offline
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 78
I have a related question - is there any reason not to buy larger wheels (say 18") so that they clear the tie-rod? Assuming that the backspacing did not hit anything else, is there any reason for the tie rod not to protrude within the wheel diameter as long as it does not hit anything?



1959 Chevy 3/4-ton (pics posted soon)

I child-proofed my house, but my kids keep finding their way back in.
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
Yeah I can understand that Fred, but when you've pull 9g pull-ups pointed straight at the ground at 800ft altitude with aluminum fittings that you built your self, you develop a different feel for properly made aluminum components.
Denny G


Denny G
Sandwich, IL
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
re 18" wheels: That is the way everything fit with the original 17" split rims. The lip of the rim is in a different place where it doesn't interfere.


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 215
A
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
A Offline
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 215
I think you guys are confusing spacers with adaptors, just spacers will never fail, made from aluminum or steel. Adaptors made from cast aluminum or pot metal could fail, but billet aluminum is unlikely to fail.
But for adaptors I think I would prefer steel even though a stud pulling through a billet aluminum adaptor would be very unlikely if its tightened properly.
And huge wheel offset would be a lot tougher on spindles than just spacers.


1946 Chevy 1/2-Ton
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Photobucket

Sometimes I forget where I left myself....
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 105
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 105
The spacers will work great but now a new problem. The lugs are to short... haha. I should be able to get these from my local parts store right?

Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
Should be able to. They'll have to cross reference them by knurl size (diameter and length), then see what's available in a longer thread length. It won't hurt anyhting if you have to go .001" to .002" larger on the diameter on the knurl, same for length of the knurl, just don't go smaller. You may need to check into race spec studs to get a longer thread.


Bill Burmeister
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
I bought some rear studs for my 1 Ton from LMC. I believe they have the same knurl as the front but they are longer studs.


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 105
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 105
Thanks guys. I have been looking around for the specs. I live a good bit away from a parts store so I was going to order them. Can anyone give me the specs on the stock stud. Knurl size? Or what I should order? thanks for the help guys

Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 105
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 105
the rear studs worked like a charm with the half inch spacers. Thanks a lot

Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 45
B
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
B Offline
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 45
Did you find an answer to your question about larger wheels? I am thinking of getting big wheels/tires for my 3800 for better speed.


All you can do is all you can do.

Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0