The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (Eileen, Mike'sPlace, Maybellene, Uncles51, 1 invisible), 91 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,079
Posts1,056,296
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#72111 01/23/2007 3:00 AM
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 17
5
New Guy
New Guy
5 Offline
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 17
As I have stated in other treads, I am putting a 427BB in my truck that will run about 500hp. I would love to have a OD tranny that could hold up and still get me down the highway with out turning 3000+ RPMs. I have a 400 Turbo right now. What should I do?


Much too young to feel this darn old?

56 GMC
Camaro Clip
C-Notched and Boxed
4 link out back
427 BBC, 400 trans, 9in rear
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
O
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
4L80e.


1955 1st GMC Suburban | 1954 GMC 250 trailer puller project | 1954 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic | 1954 Chevy 3100 . 1947 Chevy COE | and more...
It's true. I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble...
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,464
W
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
W Offline
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,464
4L80e is a great tranny but I just had mine rebuilt - cost me $2800. It's full of electronics and is controlled by an engine computer. You can get a built-up 700R4 for a whole lot less - and no electronics. It would be a much simpler installation. (just my opinion)

Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,464
W
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
W Offline
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,464
Another thought: a Gear Vendors o/d unit. Bolts to the back of your th400. Bulletproof.

Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
O
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
Gear Venders OD would probably be a good alternative but the question was which transmission. With 500 horses on tap I'd choose the 4L80e over the 700R4 or 4L60/4L60e.

The 80 is built for the same kind of applications the T400 is and would be more likely to survive in that environment.

Maybe the lighter transmission would not fail, but wouldn't you prefer the one built for the abuse.


1955 1st GMC Suburban | 1954 GMC 250 trailer puller project | 1954 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic | 1954 Chevy 3100 . 1947 Chevy COE | and more...
It's true. I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble...

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0