| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,080 Posts1,056,294 Members48,441 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | |
#72111 01/23/2007 3:00 AM | Joined: Jan 2007 Posts: 17 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Jan 2007 Posts: 17 | As I have stated in other treads, I am putting a 427BB in my truck that will run about 500hp. I would love to have a OD tranny that could hold up and still get me down the highway with out turning 3000+ RPMs. I have a 400 Turbo right now. What should I do?
Much too young to feel this darn old?
56 GMC Camaro Clip C-Notched and Boxed 4 link out back 427 BBC, 400 trans, 9in rear
| | |
#72112 01/23/2007 3:10 AM | Joined: Oct 2003 Posts: 5,152 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Oct 2003 Posts: 5,152 |
1955 1st GMC Suburban | 1954 GMC 250 trailer puller project | 1954 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic | 1954 Chevy 3100 . 1947 Chevy COE | and more... It's true. I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble... | | |
#72113 01/25/2007 8:13 AM | Joined: Dec 2006 Posts: 1,464 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Dec 2006 Posts: 1,464 | 4L80e is a great tranny but I just had mine rebuilt - cost me $2800. It's full of electronics and is controlled by an engine computer. You can get a built-up 700R4 for a whole lot less - and no electronics. It would be a much simpler installation. (just my opinion) | | |
#72114 01/26/2007 2:04 AM | Joined: Dec 2006 Posts: 1,464 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Dec 2006 Posts: 1,464 | Another thought: a Gear Vendors o/d unit. Bolts to the back of your th400. Bulletproof. | | |
#72115 01/26/2007 4:02 AM | Joined: Oct 2003 Posts: 5,152 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Oct 2003 Posts: 5,152 | Gear Venders OD would probably be a good alternative but the question was which transmission. With 500 horses on tap I'd choose the 4L80e over the 700R4 or 4L60/4L60e.
The 80 is built for the same kind of applications the T400 is and would be more likely to survive in that environment.
Maybe the lighter transmission would not fail, but wouldn't you prefer the one built for the abuse.
1955 1st GMC Suburban | 1954 GMC 250 trailer puller project | 1954 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic | 1954 Chevy 3100 . 1947 Chevy COE | and more... It's true. I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble... | | |
| |
| |