Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
0 members (),
91
guests, and
1
robot. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,127 Posts1,056,680 Members48,452 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Aug 2010 Posts: 6 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Aug 2010 Posts: 6 | Hey guys id like to get some opinions on the paint scheme for my original 1958 chevy apache. I am painting the truck with two colors the exterior will be tropical turquoise an original 58 color and then the grille bumpers and interior Bombay ivory. Obviously the top of the dash and door panels would be the turquoise. Just interested in your opinions. | | | | | Joined: May 2006 Posts: 679 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: May 2006 Posts: 679 | I think my blue is "tartan" and I have bombay ivory bumpers. The dash is charcoal black and the door panels are silver/gray, like the front of the dash, kick panels, heater, behind the seat, etc. My seats are tartan blue vinyl with black velour inserts. The headliner is black velour. I love it. I'd recommend sensitivity to make sure your's doesn't look like someone detonated a turquoise paint bomb in it. The black/gray set off the blue.
I'm watching an unrestored 'bolt similar to mine go through restoration at a body shop near my house. It had a 'belt' of ivory that wraps from the driver's window around back behind the back glass, back to the passenger window. It looks sharp. I believe this is an optional color scheme that goes along with the deluxe interior that this particular truck has.
Bill | | | | | Joined: Aug 2010 Posts: 6 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Aug 2010 Posts: 6 | Thanks bill for the opinion do you have pics of your interior thats my biggest undecided thing just don't know how the ivory for the interior with turquoise accents will look | | | | | Joined: Jul 2001 Posts: 3,887 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Jul 2001 Posts: 3,887 | I prefer interiors that are closer to original rather than interiors using the exterior colors .... but whatever floats yer boat  Bill | | | | | Joined: Aug 2010 Posts: 6 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Aug 2010 Posts: 6 | Do you have paint codes for the original interiors | | | | | Joined: Jul 2001 Posts: 3,887 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Jul 2001 Posts: 3,887 | I don't think anyone has come up with modern code translations of the original numbers, but the chip sheets list 'Charcoal gray' [the darker] as DUCO [lacquer] 73605 .... DUCO 91623 is 'Concord gray' [the lighter] .... with 4528 'Flattening compound' added for the dash top .... never seen any chip sheets that show chips of them, just the text
I found rattle can enamel colors close and went with those, others have done color matching with original interior pieces, some of the vendors have interior paints they claim are at least close to original
Bill | | | | | Joined: May 2006 Posts: 679 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: May 2006 Posts: 679 | A 5 year old photo of my interior is here. (I've since restored the steering wheel and corrected some knob problems.) Friedgreentamater has some photos of his interior that show primarily white seats with green inserts. Perhaps this will give you an idea of white/ivory seats would look like. Wrenchbender Ret's gallery page that contains links to white interior and the exterior white "belt" I was alluding to previously. Steve Taylor's unrestored '59 with optional interior treatment (all factory.) Note the dash color. Lots more in the Gallery. Bill | | | | | Joined: Jan 2011 Posts: 35 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2011 Posts: 35 | Hi Guys,
A follow-up on the interior of a 1958 Apache.
On the two original grays, where was the light gray used versus the dark gray? Also, are the cab steps painted body color on the outer edge (that shows when the doors are closed) and one of the grays (which one?) on the "tread" section?
Thanks, Steve
| | | | | Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 | Steve - dark gray column and support, e-brake handle, steering wheel, dash top, foot pedal arms, floor, step faces and tread, and inside firewall, all the rest light gray, including the door jambs out to the weather seal surface - so yes, the bottom edge face of the step [the rocker] is body color beyond the seal notch because it's part of the body, not interior
Bill | | | | | Joined: Sep 2010 Posts: 695 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2010 Posts: 695 | My truck exterior will be close to original. It has the white band around the window area but is a small glass cab. As mentioned, the true name of the turqoise is "Tartan" and the white color is "Bombay Ivory". I saw the name "Tropical Turquoise" that Auburnfreak21 mentioned, as sold by tcpglobal. It looks like the "Tartan Turquoise" and I plan on using this as well when it comes time to paint. I'm looking at their "Wimbledon White" for the "Bombay Ivory" substitute... I think it's pretty close. tcpglobal Paint I'm not going with the "Cherokee Gold" on the base interior but I do want the dash to be the dark gray.. as well as the steering column and brake handle and heater. I think this accents well with the interior base color scheme. Thanks for sharing the interior links, Bill. Good luck with the painting Auburnfreak21! Jerry | | | | | Joined: Dec 2012 Posts: 5 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Dec 2012 Posts: 5 | Has anyone heard of a '58 color sometimes called "burnt turquoise"? Its different from tartan turquoise, darker too.Its the color Im looking for to paint my '58 Apache longbed.The closest I could find was Polar Blue, but I have seen 'burnt turquoise' listed before, its been awhile.Is anyone out there familar with it? | | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,270 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,270 | | | |
| |