The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
6 members (MNSmith, John Dlugos, fonz8261, Jon G, Shade Baby, dt235sd), 114 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,120
Posts1,056,321
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#717667 02/03/2011 12:47 AM
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 5
S
New Guy
New Guy
S Offline
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 5
I recently purchased a 62 chevy pu short and wide. It's a Colorado truck solid and original. As in I just replaced the original lower ball joints! Sheet metal is all original including rockers and corners, dents were added. It's a six with a 4 speed (granny) no options on this truck at all. I am not looking to make a hot rod but I do plan to drive it, I expect that after 50 years it can still do some light work. My concern is safety (someone added seat belts), I would like to put in a dual master cylinder and discs up front and maybe p.s..

Should I be concerned with keeping things original?

How about paint color, OK to change it (white is really boring)?

Also I was able to verify the paint code but cannot find anything on the trim code RPO w433 RM.

Any help would be appreciated.

Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 6
D
New Guy
New Guy
D Offline
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 6
Just curious if you're in Co and what area?


Dave R
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 6
D
New Guy
New Guy
D Offline
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 6
White doesn't have to be boring, Throw in some pearl and some green and orange pin striping? SWEET!


Dave R
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 6
D
New Guy
New Guy
D Offline
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 6
I'm in Grand Junction, always looking for someone to trade ideas with. I have a 61 Apache S/W bed, 283 4 spd. I'm doing a frame up restoration. still tearing down, hoping to be going the other direction soon!


Dave R
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 5
S
New Guy
New Guy
S Offline
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 5
I am in the Denver area.

Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 800
K
k10 Offline
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
K Offline
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 800
Dual master cylinder with booster is fairly easy and not that expensive. Power steering? you obviously haven't driven the truck. A 60-66 shortbed truck is probably one of the nicest steering vehicles without power steering ever built. If your setup has been checked over, you don't need power steering. I suggest that you get the truck up to original specifications and then drive it. THEN you can decide what doesn't work for you. I think that you'll find that a '62 is pretty capable of doing good road speed, braking well, hauling the goods, steering great, has a great ride and is generally a very well mannered vehicle. Or you can throw of bunch of "old stuff" in the trash, spend lots of money for "new and improved stuff" and then wish you had that old truck feeling. smile

Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 5
S
New Guy
New Guy
S Offline
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 5
Actually I have been driving it although the last few weeks we have had some snow so it's been parked. I agree it drives great! Runs straight down the road and the original six purrs like a kitten. Not sure about highway speeds I need to hook up temporary tach and check the RPMs. Steering issue is related to turning it around in a tight foothills driveway, I would not want to give up feeling it has on the road. PB and duel master is a safety concern.


Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 841
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 841
i don't know, are power brakes and dual masters really that safer? i have seen way more accidents caused by aftermarket parts or parts not originally for the specific application, but i'm no expert. i think drum brakes last longer than disc, they usually run cooler too. i mean if you are going to be tailgating someone, or if you just want them, by all means, go with disc brakes. if the flex lines, master, wheel cyls, and hard line are all good why upgrade?

Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 98
6
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
6 Offline
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 98
If you plan to upgrade your brakes, a cheaper way is find a 72 pickup, and get all the parts.The problem with 62 is you need to change the whole crossmember.That is how i did mine.But it is far cheaper than the aftermarket stuff.I also got the rear axle ( had to go to 5 lug) with a better hiway gear ratio.

Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,756
G
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
G Offline
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,756
Good advice Mark, I did that then later when I had more $ I went to disc brakes on the front. I really can't justify the expense.
They brake no better than the old drums.

Last edited by gazim; 02/05/2011 3:44 PM.
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 47
C
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
C Offline
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 47
Aside from seatbelts, I'd keep her stock. In my neck of the woods(flatland) properly functioning drums are fine.

Check HERE for colors.


1962 C-10 Chevy

In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Photobucket

ADHD and luvin' it

Moderated by  Hambone, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0