The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
8 members (Steelonsteel, klhansen, tclederman, Nick in Manitou, dt235sd, Bill Hanlon, Leo, GRNHydra), 70 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,112
Posts1,056,577
Members48,448
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 679
T
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
T Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 679
Running from my fuel pump, I have a 5/16" fuel line that enters the fuel tank at roughly the top center.

What would I see if I had a glass fuel tank? Where is the pickup: is it on the driver's side, passenger's side, or in the middle? Is it forward or aft of center?

(Reason: I will be removing this line today and would like to know if I should put ramps under the two front wheels, or if it would be better to put them under the two passenger side wheels. I want to slosh the gasoline so that it won't fully siphon out.)

Bill

Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,756
G
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
G Offline
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,756
Doesn't the fuel line to into a piece that may be removed
(to replace sending unit) take it off and have the answer.

Joined: May 2006
Posts: 679
T
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
T Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 679
Taking apart connections increases the risk of damaging items at both disassembly and reassembly. If someone could say "lift the front" (or whatever,) that'd be fine with me. I was hoping for more than "figure it out yourself." I'm well-aware of this option.

Bill

Joined: Jul 2001
Posts: 3,887
S
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
S Offline
Joined: Jul 2001
Posts: 3,887
the fitting on top the tank is the sending unit, looks like this inside [plus the float and a 'sock' on the end of the tube] ... can't recall which side it points to, but unless your tank is virtually empty you won't be able to get the truck high enough any direction to do what you propose, remember the pickup is designed to use all the gas in the tank going uphill or down, it almost sits on the bottom

to avoid siphoning too much, disconnect the fitting at the tank first, then have a small container under the connection at the pump to catch what's still in the line .... done

Bill


Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature we find it attached to the rest of the world" John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics & Rust-a-holics Unanimous parking lot
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 679
T
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
T Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 679
I guess it works too well, picking up the nearly all of the tank contents.

I understand what you explain. Good call. Will do.

Bill


Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0