The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
9 members (John Dlugos, Buckeye998, Gray_Ghost, Gdads51, dt235sd, rfs56trk, BCBill, Otto Skorzeny, Dusty53), 236 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,101
Posts1,056,172
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 91
1
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
1 Offline
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 91
headscratchI've been on about a year long search for the accelerator linkage for my '51 3100 with a '57 235 in it. Many have tried to send photos to help but I cannot seem to figure it out. Now, I see there are 2 studs in the block that look like they could accept the bellcrank for the gas pedel to carb linkage. One is directly behind the center of the exhaust manifold and the other is a few inches more to the rear.Is the one behind the maniflod just to anchor the return spring?I'm baffeled. If anyone has the same truck/engine combination, please send photos if you could. Anyone know where I can buy the right linkage? Thanks

Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
A 51 will have the bell-crank in the front hole, that hole matches the only hole the original 216 had.


See the USA in your vintage Chevrolet!
My Blog
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269

Dave,

Was that same hole used a 235 truck blocks through 1955-1st series?

What about car 235s and 54/55-1st truck 261s?

Thanks,

Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 91
1
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
1 Offline
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 91
Like I say, my engine is a'57 so I don't really know what will work. Being as the motor is a '57 and the truck is a '51 will I have to cobble something up? I'm sure there's hundreds of this same combination out there. The hardest thing to find is the rod that goes from the gas pedel to the bellcrank, probably because the bellcrank might be in a little different position on a '57 than on a '51(216). What do you think?

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,393
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,393
The original rod to the bellcrank will have to be straightened and shortened to work. A stovebolter on this site has posted pics before. Hopefully, he'll see your question. Another method is to use bendable,stiff wire as template to get an idea of what will work for you. You can also try allthread with couplings. Many catalogs(Summit)and rod shops can help with all kinds of aftermarket throotle systems too.


Drew
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
Tim, It's been a while since I focused on the 54-55 first linkage, but I believe they also use the front hole.
If I remember correct the 53-54 car used the rear hole.


See the USA in your vintage Chevrolet!
My Blog
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
I have removed more 216s to install 235s than I can count and I have never modified the linkage, the 235 has the correct pivot location except when using a 1960-62 engine. On those the front pivot hole was discontinued. On those I drill the block and make my own pivot point. See Pic.

Last edited by Pre '68 Dave; 01/27/2011 10:05 PM.

See the USA in your vintage Chevrolet!
My Blog
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Originally Posted by 1951 Elmer
Like I say, my engine is a'57 so I don't really know what will work. Being as the motor is a '57 and the truck is a '51 will I have to cobble something up? I'm sure there's hundreds of this same combination out there. The hardest thing to find is the rod that goes from the gas pedel to the bellcrank, probably because the bellcrank might be in a little different position on a '57 than on a '51(216). What do you think?


Regarding the rod that goes from the later bell-crank to the pedal: since a shorter rod from the pedal is required, I simply cut the original rod and bent the end to fit the bell-rank located nearer the rear of the engine (1960 261). Sorry - I have no photos or measurements because a friend now has that rod on his 1959 261 in a 1954 truck.

Joined: Feb 2003
Posts: 1,377
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2003
Posts: 1,377
I have a 57 235 in my 37 and I got original parts to hook up the linkage,when I installed the fentons I had to make a new rod from the bell-crank to the carb but was no big deal.

Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,107
5
'Bolter
'Bolter
5 Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,107
when i put the 59-235 into the 51-6100 i had to mix match linkages. for some reason i couldnt use everything from the 51 to get it to work properly. i know i had three different but similar looking bellcranks which then required a slight difference in the linkage. luckily for me i had enough stuff on hand to get it to work but it was puzzling at the time.

Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 91
1
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
1 Offline
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 91
Originally Posted by Pre '68 Dave
I have removed more 216s to install 235s than I can count and I have never modified the linkage, the 235 has the correct pivot location except when using a 1960-62 engine. On those the front pivot hole was discontinued. On those I drill the block and make my own pivot point. See Pic.
Sooooo; if I look for linkage from a 47-53(216 type truck) it would work fine in my '51 with the 235 from a 1957,correct?????

Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
If you are using a stock intake and exhaust than you are correct.
The connection for the gas pedal changed in 53 from pin to snap-on so look for 47-52 unless you get the pedal.


See the USA in your vintage Chevrolet!
My Blog
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 239
N
'Bolter
'Bolter
N Offline
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 239
I can not believe the timing on the forum topic. I replaced the 235 in my '55 1st series with a 235 from a '60 truck. I've spent the last few days working on the engine hookup stuff. Today I tried to install the throttle linkage. I was surprised the linkage and the bellcrank did not fit as it should. After reading this forum topic I believe I now understand the problem. The '55 engine had the bellcrank located farther forward than the '60 engine. I'm planning to shorten the throttle linkage from the bellcrank to the floor pedal. Measure twice and cut once.

Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 44
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 44
Pre '68 Dave, I know this is a 10 year old post but was hoping you might still have the pic on the pivot bolt location drill point. The pic link is broken. How deep should it be drilled and are there any concerns about breaching something in the block. Thanks


1948 3600 - In progress
1957 Bel Air 4 Door - kinda complete

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0