The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 182 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,108
Posts1,056,228
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#713715 01/21/2011 2:42 AM
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 4
C
New Guy
New Guy
C Offline
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 4
I have been referencing this great source of info for a year now and it sure has helped me along . Many thanks to All ! Bought this 1950 one ton Panel from a farmer in VA where it had been sitting for 12 years . I soon got the engine running and rewired it last winter . I am redoing the front end now and takling the king pins etc , I got the tie rod off the other day and noticed it has a distinct kink in it closer to the left side than the middle . Is this correct or has it been bent, probably whilst being towed at some stage ?! If so , can the rod be hammered straight again by somebody who knows what he is doing ? Thanks for advice . I will post pictures in the near future .

Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 171
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 171
yes it's been bent & yes it can be straightened by someone that knows what they're doing.


Robert French MY3800FIRETRUCK
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 4
C
New Guy
New Guy
C Offline
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 4

Even upon closer inspection of the tie rod , I dont see any chain marks or gouges on it at the bend position . But thanks for letting me know and I will get it pounded straight by a machine shop .


1950 Chev 3800 Panel truck
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,596
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,596
I think the bends are caused by a hard ditch or field hit I have seen quite a few of them bent usually about a foot or so in from the end on one side or the other. Some of these trucks certainly served their time before we end up with them.

Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 4
C
New Guy
New Guy
C Offline
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 4
Got a machine shop to gently straighten the tie rod . We used a press and some carefully placed 1" pipe ( cut in half ) around the tie rod at the fulcrum point . After several presses , it was straight as it could be . I used the word "get it pounded" before and realize now that that would have ruined it , as it is hollow inside !

Onto the next job...........


1950 Chev 3800 Panel truck

Moderated by  Dusty53 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0