The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
7 members (KEVINSKI, ronsway, Otto Skorzeny, Greg_H, 1955 1 Series, TrknGMC, TooMany2count), 157 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,142
Posts1,056,481
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#713402 01/20/2011 1:48 AM
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
OK, so they don't exist. Apparently the umbrella type oil deflectors didn't appear until the 1941 head design. Has anybody used a modification to stop one of these from burning oil that leaks through the valve guides. I have seen a posting on another site that the deflectors from a Ford 302 work out fine. I don't really understand how they would fit on.


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
It is common to use umbrella seals on those early heads. They fit around the valve stem and hang down over the guide.
Here is a ebay LINK to some as an example.


See the USA in your vintage Chevrolet!
My Blog
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
Dave,
thanks, now I understand. They are real seals that sit on the guide.


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,847
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,847
they cost like 68 cents apiece at napa

Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
Would they keep the valve stems too dry?


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 45
W
New Guy
New Guy
W Offline
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 45
The umbrella type seal is a snug fit on the valve stem and moves up and down with the valve; they don't attach to the guide, just "umbrella" the oil away from the guide bore. I don't use the seals on the exhaust valves; I figure they need lubrication and they don't suck the oil by like the intakes do. If the exhaust guide bore and valve stem are a good fit, little oil will pass.

Last edited by WillH; 01/20/2011 8:41 PM.
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
Thanks, I think I got it now.


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
Most modern engines use what are called PC seals on the intake and exhaust. They fit tight on the valve and the guide preventing almost any oil from getting to the guide.
Example
You would think valve guides would need oiling but they seen to work fine with almost nothing.

The advantage in PC seals are, they stop what amounts to a vacuum leak past the guides on the intakes, and prevent exhaust gasses from getting past the guides on the exhaust, and entering the engine.


See the USA in your vintage Chevrolet!
My Blog

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0